Air intake from outside or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok....but my pellet stove is using outside combustion air. so what is "sucking" the air up from my basement??

cac4 said:
ok....but my pellet stove is using outside combustion air. so what is "sucking" the air up from my basement??

Where is your stove located and what other devices with fans if any are you running in the house, any fireplaces, etc ... .

That air may be being "sucked" up due to temperature differences or pressure differences.

stove is on the first floor. house has 2 stories of living space, plus the full basement (unfinished; poured concrete foundation), and attic space above. everything should be sealed up pretty well. House was built in 1994, has 6" walls full of insulation, double pane windows, etc.
no fans running. Clothes dryer lives in the basement, anyway.

I've gone around with a candle to observe air currents with the stove running. You can see how the air circulates around the open first floor areas. At the top of the stairs, on the second floor, you can see warm air flowing up at the top, and down at the bottom. Same in the bedroom doors. hold the candle up at the top of the doorways, and the flame leans into the room. hold it near the floor, and it points out toward the stairs.

Well let's see.

Do your bathroom fans have a damper on the outside vent that closes tight when the fan is off? Same for your dryer. The outside air blowing (wind) past any vent will cause a pressure difference.

Improperly trapped plumbing could also allow outside air blowing past the stink pipe to remove air from rooms with the messed up plumbing.

Also remember cold air falls and will draw a flame as well.

The intake for convection blower on your stove is likely to be low to the floor and will also cause a pressure difference between one area of your house and another.

Does your house have a chimney? If so are there any air leaks around anyplace along the walls surrounding the chimney? You might also wish to check for an air path in the race the chimney is installed in. Just stuffing fiberglass into the small voids around a chimney race won't seal the pathway. The same types of things should be checked around all electrical outlets including those on inside walls, you'd be surprised what you might find.

The vent on your stove should be treated like the bathroom vents.

no bathroom vents. I doubt anything is wrong with the plumbing; its very straight-forward. dryer vent has a louvered plate outside, so its closed when the dryer isn't operating; how "tight" it is? well...I doubt its very tight. furnace exhausts through a power vent.

there is a chimney, of sorts...wooden chase for a "decorative" fireplace. the type that doesn't throw heat. its slated for removal. Meanwhile, Its covered over with that 3M window film, to prevent drafts.

the only thing really "blowing" is the pellet stove, itself.

I expected cold air to drop down into the basement when I open the door; but it seems to be rising up...hence, the puzzle.

If it is occurring when you open the basement door it is following the pressure difference caused by the convection blower, keep that basement door closed and check for air leaks.

You only want to heat the living space envelope air.

No bathroom vents could be a possible mold issue eventually. I also think that under current code they may be required. Maybe a window would qualify but I haven't dug around in building code issues in some time.

How about a stove vent? Those are frequently vented to the outside and need a damper on the end as well.

The temperature of the combustion air is not a significant factor. If anything, the fire will burn hotter with colder air, because cold air has a higher concentration of O2. Period.

sydney1963 said:
The temperature of the combustion air is not a significant factor. If anything, the fire will burn hotter with colder air, because cold air has a higher concentration of O2. Period.

I'm taking your word for it. Hoping to get the OAK fabricated this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.