air intake placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
begreen,
Thanks for the link.
Confirmation I am not the only stupi...I mean "innovative" person out there.

I guess even if it's less efficient than one of those fancy pants engineered ones..it's still better than a chunk of duct through the wall.

Okay, no more HRV talk...I hate them because I can't have one...same goes for porsche, ferrari, and lamborghini...not to mention Charlize Theron...oh Charlize.....

Begreen
I found "them"

Excerpt:
According to John Gulland of the Wood Heat Association:

“The supposed benefits of outdoor air are not supported by research. Laboratory and field reports have revealed that providing outdoor air is not a simple or effective cure for spillage, and that some designs could create a fire hazard.”

I think John is referring more to fireplaces than stoves (we butted heads a while back on this) stoves aren't as sensitive to negative pressure pockets from OAK on the leeward side of the house as fireplaces are. and with tight construction the benefits are easily realized when adding an OAK to an existing unit. ive done both direct and indirect OAK installations to problem stoves several times with success in every occasion (have yet to have a customer who I have installed an OAK to an existing unit report anything but success)

Hey Stoveguy2esw
Well thats good news.

As long as nobody said "Oh...make sure you put a fresh air intake 7.2456739 inches above the baseboard on the windward side of the house...but make sure it is at a 45 degree angle to the hypotenuse of the front door...otherwise your stove won't work." (or some such mathy thing)

Either way, I will need to get the little guy some air. Turn on the bath fan here and you can almost see the walls bow inwards.

Thanks for everyone input.

Status
Not open for further replies.