Air Purifier while burning

lydiae

Jan 15, 2014
Blissfield, Mi
I was wondering if anyone on here uses an air purifier in their house when they use their wood burning insert or wood burning stove? Does it make a difference in the air quality, dust accumulation and smoke smell if that's a problem? I have a two year old, new baby due in November and husband with allergies and was wondering if it's worth the investment or really doesn't do anything.

KDMANN

Nov 6, 2013
West Michigan
I have a 7 yr old with allergies and asthma . I use a Hunter HEPAtech air purifier. The filters are kind of expensive , about 50 bucks a piece. Usually have to change it every 6 months ( it has a digital readout that tells us the percentage of filter life left), so not tooo bad.The other filter is washable. It helps a ton on dust and of course the doggy hair. We have the purifier placed about 15 ft from the wood stove and seems to work great.

jotul?

Burning Hunk
May 30, 2014
western pa
Get the best one you can afford without falling for the space age miracle - huckster stuff you see on tv. Get a machine recommended by a reputable appliance dealer and do pay attention to replacement filter cost. That said, I have severe seasonal allergies and a 3 year old with asthma and allergies. The purifiers really do clean a lot of junk out of the air, but only if you keep buttoned up tight. One day of windows open negates a week of filtration.

lydiae

Jan 15, 2014
Blissfield, Mi
I have a 7 yr old with allergies and asthma . I use a Hunter HEPAtech air purifier. The filters are kind of expensive , about 50 bucks a piece. Usually have to change it every 6 months ( it has a digital readout that tells us the percentage of filter life left), so not tooo bad.The other filter is washable. It helps a ton on dust and of course the doggy hair. We have the purifier placed about 15 ft from the wood stove and seems to work great.
I was planning to get one from lowes around $200. It uses a hepa filter also. Our wood burning insert creates a lot of dust and every now and then a wood burning smell(some people like it, but I prefer no smell) Have you noticed , if you run it on automatic setting that it goes on high by itself because of the wood burner?

lydiae

Jan 15, 2014
Blissfield, Mi
Get the best one you can afford without falling for the space age miracle - huckster stuff you see on tv. Get a machine recommended by a reputable appliance dealer and do pay attention to replacement filter cost. That said, I have severe seasonal allergies and a 3 year old with asthma and allergies. The purifiers really do clean a lot of junk out of the air, but only if you keep buttoned up tight. One day of windows open negates a week of filtration.
That's where I wonder if it will help because sometimes we need to open a window or door to get more oxygen in for the fire. I mainly just want to make sure we are not breathing in a bunch of dust.

jotul?

Burning Hunk
May 30, 2014
western pa
That's where I wonder if it will help because sometimes we need to open a window or door to get more oxygen in for the fire. I mainly just want to make sure we are not breathing in a bunch of dust.
I will amend my statement to say that the windows open situation counts only in the summer for me. My allergies are severe but only in the summer. I take no medication or precautions in the winter, as I'm made miserable by pollen. I have seen how many impurities my air purifiers have sucked up at all times of the year though, so wouldn't be without one or two. I don't know your specific situation, but I would venture to guess that clean, cold winter air wouldn't harm any allergy sufferers in your house since it contains no mold, mildew, pollen, or spores, and the air purifier would handle the dust in the house.

jdh2550

Apr 11, 2014
pa
Allergy shots are worth every penny. Used to get 4 sinus infections a year. Now I never get sick and don't even get stuffy cutting the grass... Just sayin'

jotul?

Burning Hunk
May 30, 2014
western pa
Allergy shots are worth every penny. Used to get 4 sinus infections a year. Now I never get sick and don't even get stuffy cutting the grass... Just sayin'
Been there, done that, no help for me.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
An air 'filter' will help some. Beware of some appliances calling themselves 'air purifiers' Some may have a flimsy filter, a UV bulb and/or emit ozone, but not offer true HEPA filtration. You definitely want the HEPA filter.

Also, I'd advise if the dust/smoke is causing the issue, it would be best to attack it at the source, instead of a band-aid fix with the purifier. If you get a lot of smoke on re-loading, have a bunch of ash coming out or have to open doors for draft, chances are you need a taller flue and/or insulation on the existing flue. Try different methods to load the stove / clean the ash which generate less dust. Possibly invest in an ash vacuum, or carefully use a normal vacuum to help capture the 'fly ash' from cleaning time.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000

jilati

Dec 5, 2016
Nigeria
The thing about air purifier is that each one has it own usefulness so if your are getting one you need to make sure the one youbare getting serves the purpose for which you are getting it.
For example based on the article about air purifier on this review sites http://www.jenreviews.com/best-air-purifier/
Some purifier are just for dust while some are for pet, smokes, e.t.c
So make sure to do you research well.
But to answer op question the Alen Breathesmart might do wonders for you.
Cheers

blades

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2008
WI, Leroy
This thread doesnt make any sense. If you have smoke/ash dust in your house you have draft issues. You shouldnt smell any smoke. The only thing the stove should put out is heat.
Likely true in a perfect world/ install/ fuel- haven't seen none of the above yet in 66 years.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000

blades

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2008
WI, Leroy
been thinking along the same lines just for a bit of dust control

Reactions: dleeallen

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Syracuse, NY
I don't get smoke in my house unless there is a split smoking close to the door and I open it. No one can tell I'm burning unless they see the woodstove or smell it outside.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
We looked into and did a blog about it, concluding that HEPA filters really can be a good idea whether its you making the smoke, or your neighbor. I often rely on Consumer Reports, but they don't focus just on smoke - they focus mostly on allergens. And, they do not recommend HEPA filters, saying that a really good air filter can do the job, whether its a HEPA or not. They really urge folks to look at operating costs, as it can cost a lot to run them 24/7. Some are Energy Star. If you are worried about kids, I would put the purifier in their room - and shut the door at night if you can.

I only get a very faint smoke odor in my house, probably just from loading wood. But I use a PM sensor and it shows slightly elevated PM when the stove is on. There far more PM when frying something, and its off the charts when you vaccum.

http://forgreenheat.blogspot.com/2015/02/hepa-air-filters-show-good-results-at.html

John

Reactions: begreen