Air sealing chimney liner and shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spmane

Aug 7, 2019
Indiana
I just finished installing Apex 42. I noticed some air gap between aircooled chimney pipe and the metal shield on the first floor ceiling. The installer advised against airsealing the gap. Now I have a cold draft coming in through the gaps down the cement boards are cold to touch.

I found conflicting advice on this forum and elsewhere. Any advice?
56c320464ee1ce73a7254997c658a199.jpg
ac5c78042555733f82dea77626fd393e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is an air cooled chimney sealing that gap won't make a bit of difference. Is there insulation on the back side of that cement board?

There is no insulation behind the cement boards. Not sure if I can put rockwool behind it somehow ...

There is no insulation behind the cement boards. Not sure if I can put rockwool behind it somehow ...

That would certainly help