Air Seperator Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I installed an eko 40, and included a taco 4900 series air seperator in the installation. To check for leaks, I filled the system, added the "prep" chemical, and then drained it again before adding the other chemical and firing it up. I noticed that the first time I filled the boiler, I could hear a hissing sound...the air was escaping from the seperator, and it worked well. The second time I filled the boiler, I heard no hissing sound at all, and the pressure jumped up to 25 PSI. I have a pressure reducing valve for filling and monitoring the system. My question is about the seperator...is it still working? I was not able to fill all of the lines...the return line must travel uphill slightly, and it did not fill. The supply lines did. How can I get rid of the air and get all lines to fill?

Andy

Any chance the "screw" adjustment at the top might be too tight and not releasing air ? The other place I release air on my system when filling is the relief valve

Just took out and refilled about 35 gal today to install a bypass for the Termovar valve then of course the stupid gaskets leaked and had to repair that also.

I noticed that I dont have any air coming out of my spirovent running off the Tarm line but I seem to be hearing air in the lines. Ive bleed the coin vent on top with no air coming out but i still seem to be fighting air. I have vents on top of both tanks as well they dont seem to be putting off air either. I didnt realize that the Spirovent had an adjustment to it. How would I check that????

Not sure if they are all similar, the one I am using has a little thumb wheel on top that you can tighten or loosen to adjust the air purging ability. The normal setting I use is about the middle but when I refill the system I open it almost all the way then fire up the boiler and get it heated up so when the pump starts running it spits out whatever air was trapped that has now pushed thru the system.
Just about time to do that as we drained the system yesterday to add a bypass around the termovar and refilled last night and all the glycol mix fit back it.

Status
Not open for further replies.