Air Tubes keep falling out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonHaas

Dec 14, 2008
Sierra Foothills
I have a new Chalet 1800 wood stove. Works great! However, one (or more) of the 4 air tubes keeps falling out of one of the holes. I followed in the manual on how to install them, but it keeps happening.

My question is: Is it dangerous to use the stove with one or more of these tubes hanging off just the one hole??

TIA

J

AirTubes.jpg

Should there not be a bolt or cotter pin to hold it in place?

The left hand side of the tubes have little “notches” or “reliefs” cut into them that mate with the left hand side of the stove. I try to put them in as tight as I can, but They still fall out.

I don't see any cotter pins holding in the tubes. They are supposed to be inserted from the top through the right side hole.

Attachments

• chalet1600.jpg
    chalet1600.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,140
I have a cotter on the right side but I don't bother bending it as it stays in place anyway and is easier to remove and reuse.

I see cotter pins in the pics on right side. If you did not install them or they were not supplied with your stove just buy some at the right side to fit those holes.

JasonHaas said:
I guess what I am trying to ask is: Is it dangerous to use the stove with one or more of these tubes hanging off just the one hole??

Probably not, unless the baffles start to drop into the firebox. If they do, then you could possibly get too much heat directly hitting the top of the unit...
This may cause warping or buckling of the top of the unit
Those tubes serve two puposes...
1) they support the baffles &
2) they are the source for the secondary combustion (clean burn) air.
If you've got one hanging down & the baffles stay in place - go for it...
You either need cotter pins to secure it, or like the Regency wood burners, which have an enlarged end, you may need to grab em with a pair
of visegrips & hit the visegrips with a hammer to drive it into the side to secure it.
HTH

JasonHaas said:
I guess what I am trying to ask is: Is it dangerous to use the stove with one or more of these tubes hanging off just the one hole??
TIA

I wouldn't burn with the tube that way. Secondary burn systems are balanced. With a rush of air out of the open hole the burning will be unbalanced at best. In a pinch, get a few small (4d?) common nails and put them in the holes to hold the tubes in place until you have the cotter pins.

Dangerous? Probably not, but why would you want to? Your secondary combustion airflow is seriously compromised, so the appliance ain't gonna perform for you in that condition. Seems like a pretty simple fix to me, and I'd fix it before I burned it. Rick

DAKSY said:
JasonHaas said:

Probably not, unless the baffles start to drop into the firebox. If they do, then you could possibly get too much heat directly hitting the top of the unit...
This may cause warping or buckling of the top of the unit
Those tubes serve two puposes...
1) they support the baffles &
2) they are the source for the secondary combustion (clean burn) air.
If you've got one hanging down & the baffles stay in place - go for it...
You either need cotter pins to secure it, or like the Regency wood burners, which have an enlarged end, you may need to grab em with a pair
of visegrips & hit the visegrips with a hammer to drive it into the side to secure it.
HTH

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.