Alcove Wood Stove Stonework Ideas - Need Input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
Howdy,

I'm just about to break ground on my wood stove installation, and looking for some input on the stonework I'm considering. This is a stone veneer from a company called Norstone, and I'm digging the look and quality of their product. My concern is that this particular design may not withstand the test of time, and might look faddish after a few years. Thoughts?

Here's the product, followed by a shot of another similar installation to what I'm doing with the same product:

3e610a459d69f801d361f15532381cee.jpg

91d2ec855fad7e9c172954bb09c0e6ef.jpg

Stone works as a hearth/fireplace/woodstove material because of it's awesome thermal capacity which means it can absorb a significant amount of heat when your fire hits peak output by absorbing (rather the reflecting) the most intense heat. This helps make the area around the fire more comfortable when the fire is hot. When the fire is dying out, this heat is re-radiated back into the room which helps moderate the temperature as the heat output fluctuates.

Stone veneer has a very limited capability in this regard. It's mostly an aesthetic treatment so it's a good idea to make sure it doesn't fail in that regard. The install in the photo provided doesn't look believable. For the size of stone, there is too much of it. A larger stone would look better. It also looks like a great dust catcher with all those little ledges and somewhat porous stone.

The previous owner installed a 12 x 12 stone tile (slate) hearth in my place on top of the old hearth made with flat natural stone (thicker than tile but bedded in enough motor to achieve somewhat flat surfaces). These two layers provide a decent amount of thermal mass and I like the fact that the 12 x 12 stone tile is not trying to be something it's not. It's just stone tile, not veneer or faux veneer.

Is the product you're looking at real or cultured stone? Cultured stone has been very popular for a number of years because it's relatively cheap and easy. I would be very wary of it because it's over used and will probably be torn out in masse in coming years. Regardless of what you use, I think it's a good idea to stick with a stone that looks local to the region you live.

Reactions: Rangerbait
Stone works as a hearth/fireplace/woodstove material because of it's awesome thermal capacity which means it can absorb a significant amount of heat when your fire hits peak output by absorbing (rather the reflecting) the most intense heat. This helps make the area around the fire more comfortable when the fire is hot. When the fire is dying out, this heat is re-radiated back into the room which helps moderate the temperature as the heat output fluctuates.

Stone veneer has a very limited capability in this regard. It's mostly an aesthetic treatment so it's a good idea to make sure it doesn't fail in that regard. The install in the photo provided doesn't look believable. For the size of stone, there is too much of it. A larger stone would look better. It also looks like a great dust catcher with all those little ledges and somewhat porous stone.

The previous owner installed a 12 x 12 stone tile (slate) hearth in my place on top of the old hearth made with flat natural stone (thicker than tile but bedded in enough motor to achieve somewhat flat surfaces). These two layers provide a decent amount of thermal mass and I like the fact that the 12 x 12 stone tile is not trying to be something it's not. It's just stone tile, not veneer or faux veneer.

Is the product you're looking at real or cultured stone? Cultured stone has been very popular for a number of years because it's relatively cheap and easy. I would be very wary of it because it's over used and will probably be torn out in masse in coming years. Regardless of what you use, I think it's a good idea to stick with a stone that looks local to the region you live.

It's slices of actual stone...I know the cultured crap you're talking about, and no thanks. I like the veneer since it's thin enough to not make the stove look too shoe-horned into the alcove. I still have enough clearance with up to 4" thick stone, but it'll look funny. I hear you on the dust gathering properties...think I'll go with something with a smoother plane.

Howdy,

I'm just about to break ground on my wood stove installation, and looking for some input on the stonework I'm considering. This is a stone veneer from a company called Norstone, and I'm digging the look and quality of their product. My concern is that this particular design may not withstand the test of time, and might look faddish after a few years. Thoughts?

Doesn't look faddish to me.

Z Brick...

z-brick-wall.jpg

...now ~that's~ faddish.
nodder.gif

And I agree with woody... the proper scale of the stones in relation to the size of their application is an important aesthetic consideration.

Greg

Reactions: bholler
Doesn't look faddish to me.

Z Brick...
I agree it doesn't look faddish at all. Z brick can be fine as well if it is done right you cant tell the difference between it and regular brick. But yes many times it looks very cheap.

Howdy,

Here's the product, followed by a shot of another similar installation to what I'm doing with the same product:

View attachment 198243 View attachment 198244

I'd be less concerned about fads and more concerned about whether it fits with the style and period of the house.