Alderlea t6 outside air kit mount

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God morning everyone! Thanks for this very helpfull forum!
First I apologize for my English, I am French now living in Canada and my English is not as good as I'd want.
I have an alderlea t6 with an outside air kit. My retailer installed it for me because our house is brand new, and we will probably have draft problems without it.
My question is :
On the bottom of the stove, ther is a plate where the pipe from the outside is attached.this plate is not air thighted to the stove and we can feel cold air from the outside. Also, when I remove de ash drawer, when can see space between the bottom of the stove and the air intake system. I post pics it will be more clear. Is it normal?

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No answer . . . but I do want to say Bon jour and welcome to hearth.com.

I believe your anglais is much better than moi francais . . . so it's all good!

The PE T6 does not have a direction connection OAK. Instead it dumps the air near the secondary manifold intake and behind the primary air intake. Cool air leakage is definitely possible with this system.

Ok thank you begreen, it is well mounted so. This stove is a monster, and we still have to learn about it. for example, it is difficult to have a long night burn. If we let the wood and the flu temperatures begin too hot, a few hours later we only have charcoal.....
i think the EBT makes the perfect control of burning difficult. We have to learn when to close the air admission correctly...

It takes some practice and getting familiar with the stove. If it helps, I have been burning 7 seasons in this stove and still have days and nights where my burn is too short. Usually this is because I have been distracted and closed the air later than it should have been. But sometimes it is just the nature of uneven splits that have too much air between them. The EBT should extend burn time by regulating and reducing secondary air during the coaling stage.

Turn down the air about 50% as soon as the wood is fully involved in flame. This should slow down the fire but not stop it. Then wait 5-10 minutes and turn it down to 25% or until the flames start to get lazy. Wait 5 minutes and turn down the air all the way if possible, without smoldering the fire. Otherwise close it down until the flames are lazy again.

Short burn times can also be due to a very tall chimney, very windy conditions, and/or exceptionally dry wood, and too small splits. What is the flue system height, what wood species is being burned and how thick are the average splits?

Welcome frenchrider.

Thanks for the pictures and sorry to hear of your issues. You will learn how to control the stove with experience.

Regarding the outside air kit. If it were me, I would temporarily attempt to plug the outside air kit with insulation and see how things work.

IMHO, poor design. And what a shame that you now have a hole in your floor letting cold air into your home.

Thanks for your advices bigreen.
We know it is our fault. We sometimes se burn Wood no enough dry, that we cut last year on our property during the build of the house, i just splited the Wood this summer. We also buy some Wellington dried hard Wood, and generaly nô problems with it.
Madison, we can feel fresh air only when i place my hand close to the bottom of the stove. The pipe has a 180 degree angle just after the outside connector that avoid fresh outside air to come in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.