all nighter big moe with hot water extraction cylinder questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctnative

Oct 8, 2012
I'm looking at an all nighter big moe with the water extraction cylinder around the exhaust flu collar. Has anyone used one of these? Does this system actually work? Does it lead to creosote build up in the chimney by taking too much heat off the exhaust gasses? Would a hilkoil be a better option in that it sits inside the firebox and won't rob the heat off the exhaust gasses? I was thinking of using it in my basement to heat that area and at the same time run the water line up 7', 90 degree turn and then 20' level out to my garage where I would connect it to two 10' sections of baseboard, at the end of the baseboard "t" up a length of pipe so it would be an open system, then continue the return line the same 20' back and 7' down to complete the loop. I would also have the pressure relief valve at the stove end of the line. I'm not looking to keep the garage at house temps, just some residual heat to take the chill off in the winter while running the wood stove anyway. Thanks for your thoughts.

It would seem so. That is the general concern with an old stove that is capable of a long smoldering burn on poorly seasoned wood. Add a heat extractor to the flue and one is just asking for a creosote problem. If the stove was run hot on dry wood then it could be less of an issue. However, there are also safety concerns so proceed with caution. Fire and water can make a very explosive mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.