All the kindling a man could want or need....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaintenanceMan

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2010
Southern IN
I just couldn't turn it down. I went to my sons Karate class the other day and they mentioned the upcoming "Break-a-Thon". A fundraiser where they break boards for charity. It supposedly goes on all day. Well, the woodburner in me instantly went into scrounge mode as my first thought was "that's a lot of scrap 1X's...Wonder what they do with them"....

So I asked and the owner came out and said the back of his pickup is sitting outside packed full of broken pine 1x's from classes etc. and that he tries to burn up in camp fires now and then. "Take all you want". I backed my truck over and filled her up. I figure I can fill in some pretty good voids with the larger pieces and use the small stuff for kindling. Might be able to use a bit in some woodworking I have planned too.

The wood scrounger is always on duty. Even at Karate class Lol...

Nice.

I persuaded Lowes to give me a discount on their 2x4s that nobody takes due to being warped, split, etc. Was able to get them for 1/3 of normal price.

Nice.

I persuaded Lowes to give me a discount on their 2x4s that nobody takes due to being warped, split, etc. Was able to get them for 1/3 of normal price.

Anything burns better than a snowball! ;)

Take a couple of pallets and wrap them in 3ft tall wire fence and stuff them full of that stuff. Pallets are free and 50ft of that fence will surround 3 pallets. Keep it covered with some tin and you'll have kindling for years. I have 3.5 pallets full of small stuff right now. Guess I need to start leaving some limbs behind when I take trees down. A lot of times if it's as big as my thumb I keep it. Thinking about stopping at anything smaller than my wrist for a while.

Take a couple of pallets and wrap them in 3ft tall wire fence and stuff them full of that stuff. Pallets are free and 50ft of that fence will surround 3 pallets. Keep it covered with some tin and you'll have kindling for years. I have 3.5 pallets full of small stuff right now. Guess I need to start leaving some limbs behind when I take trees down. A lot of times if it's as big as my thumb I keep it. Thinking about stopping at anything smaller than my wrist for a while.

That's a pretty good idea. Right now I have a bunch of trash cans and plastic barrels full of it. I'm bad about not getting rid of anything too. I've scrounged about every last scrap for kindling.

Nice.

For everyone who doesn't know. The clearance racks and culled wood bin at Lowe's/HD, always offer at least half of the marked down price. You'll get it 90% of the time. Helps to find the person responsible for that area.

For everyone who doesn't know. The clearance racks and culled wood bin at Lowe's/HD, always offer at least half of the marked down price. You'll get it 90% of the time. Helps to find the person responsible for that area.

They must have that bin hidden at my Lowes. I guess I need to find this person you speak of.

hmmmmm....with two boys in Karate, ill be talking to them...another good idea from Hearth.com

Some dimwit illegally dumped quite a few sections of unstained cedar fence on the neighboring, abandoned lot. The bottoms are rotted, but at least 3/4 of the lengths of all the slats are in good shape.

I actually have plenty of kindling right now from a friend who had a cedar tree removed and shared, but cedar fence slats are such convenient kindling I'd don't mind storing a few extra years worth. I just need to find time to go over and grab a few of the fence sections to cut up. I'm sure the bank that is going to be foreclosing on the property sometime soon won't mind in the least.

My brother works for Lowe's. The deals he gets on returned items is much more valuable than the paycheck he earns. For example, just a few weeks ago, someone returned a TroyBilt 27 ton splitter. Said it has a hydraulic leak. Brother bought it for $450. We did find a very, very minor leak. Tightened a fitting, good to go.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.