All toasty; time for Pictures!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiffy1

Nov 13, 2008
SD
Actually still have to download the rest but snagged a couple off the camera a bit earlier; my wife is still vacuuming the attic and I have 60years of mess [no only a couple years are mine though I made it look really nasty when I cleared the corner for the stove] to clean up; probably make a trap door above the stairs first tonight though and see what other mess I get to after that before sneaking in for bed.

Rotated and pulled it out, putting the pipe between the second and third set of rafters and centering the chimney pipe even cutting two ribs in the tin. That also gives the stove 30" to the wall and to the shelves [I thought I measured to the wall earlier, but it is the shelves]; still not the 36" listed, but some heat sheild will be a nice addition anyway. That also gives me a good excuse to pull out that nasy bench on the right, though after 6 hours of that garage being nice and toasty with it baking along around 5-600 on the stove pipe indicator (1000 - 1200 internal?) that bench doesn't feel above ambiant. The left bench should be modified too, though it doesn't seem to get warm.

Well.. best get back at it...... I can't claim it's too cold out! Thanks again everyone for all the installation advice!

Attachments

• Stove1.JPG
    Stove1.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 661
My wife wasn't kind enough to tell me I was "high on roofer's crack" when she snapped the pictures so none in progress I'm going to post, but one of the result. Looks pretty straight from both directions, easily makes the 2ft roofline clearance, but right at 5ft with the raincap so maybe should have guylines.

Attachments

• Chimney.JPG
    Chimney.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 538
Camera sure didn't like the light in the garage today, but a little playing with the contrast this isn't too bad.

Attachments

• Stove2.JPG
    Stove2.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 548
Didn't get around to putting in a stove last year, so this pile is probably aged 2 years. The cottonwood I just drug over, but it was standing dead a year, so figured I cut some quick burning wood too.

Attachments

• Wood.JPG
    Wood.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 511
Sun was setting and I'd cut quite a few small logs to length, so figured I'd do some splitting on a warmer day.

Attachments

• Splitter1.JPG
    Splitter1.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 502
Obviously I didn't go to art school...

Attachments

• Ceiling.JPG
    Ceiling.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 491
  • Ceiling2.JPG
    Ceiling2.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 510
nor can I saw straight, but cleaned it up a little with the grinder when I put the flashing on even though I had plenty of clearance.

Getting the ribs to flatten enough for the bottom of the flashing however was a bugger, I finally gave up halfway there and filled the gaps with caulk.

Attachments

• Ceiling3.JPG
    Ceiling3.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 502
Spiffy we bought that r-65 model back in the late 70's and burned happily with it for about 15 years. Except for the bi-metal thermostat the stove is bulletproof...after the second or 3rd replacement we used folded tin foil to permanently managed the air intake. That stove is still kicking around here someplace, all rusted up but still serviceable. Good to see one still in use.

Oh and once your fire gets going just try and close down that inline stack vent 45* or so that she'll throw plenty of heat to the far corners of that work shed. That's the stove that use to dry our companies eyeballs out on like a zero degree day...we had to keep a dz or so pairs of sunglasses handy for their comfort.

That same stove has been heating my mothers house for the past 17 years!! They absolutely love it. I'm pretty sure they put some new bricks in it and the intake has it's issues but it still chugs along keeping the house at a blistering 80* with the stove in the basement.

Backroads said:
That same stove has been heating my mothers house for the past 17 years!! They absolutely love it. I'm pretty sure they put some new bricks in it and the intake has it's issues but it still chugs along keeping the house at a blistering 80* with the stove in the basement.

Sure neat to hear about the ol' girl! Thanks Savageactor7; Thanks Backroads!

This one is about a 1979, the FIL got it barely used from a neighbor who traded some tractor parts or mechanic work with him. It heated his garage for a couple years and their house for the next 10 or 15 years - I'm not sure that i's closing correctly for me [not that I'm too worried about that as I won't be burning continuous often if at all] either, but he said they never had trouble with the thermostat. Cheap propane and all the kids off in their own lives made collecting firewood a bit more burdensom than before so it got put out in their old wood shed.....until my wife suggested I talk them out of it. :)

I didn't ask if it ever had new bricks, but a few hairline cracks seem to be the only inperfections in them. It sure does seem bullet proof, and no doubt: get it good and fired up, crank the flue damper back and watch it throw the heat. Of course, I need to do something with those ceiling boards - right now that ceiling is one big heat grate making a downright warm attic for a cosy shop temp. That and fixing a couple windows, as well as sealing the bottoms of the doors better, and I think it will be able put that shop at whatever temperature I want.

BTW, in another thread LLiggetfa (sp?) pasted a link showing they still make them; I think Sierra. Not sure they how they compete with the efficiency ect. of the new fangled ones, but to be made for 30years or more and I haven't seen negatives, they must have merit!

Status
Not open for further replies.