alldry sumpump system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hensonconst1

Jan 10, 2009
Western KY
I am looking in at putting a system like the alldry in my basement. I know to drill holes in the bottom of the wall to ensure that the water comes in down low. I don't think I will have a problem with the gutter system. My parents have one in their basement, I got to watch professionals do it. Does not look difficult, But my parent basement has one wall out of the ground. So all they had to do was run a pipe outside to let the water out. My basement is fully underground, and I am not sure what to do for the sumppump, if that is spelled right.

Can anyone help?

I could help you, as well as other members here also, except I really don't understand your question. Could you be more specific, not using brand names, and explain you problem in detail?

I have seen new homes with a pump and it looks as though there is a plastic 50 gallon drum buried underneath the concrete. I was wondering do i need to do that or is there an easier way. don't really fill like digging a hole that big but if i have to i will. the other thing is what would be the best way to get the water in the drum.

We had to get our sump pit replaced a few years back as the old metal one had rusted out and was filling with the gravel from under the foundation... It has been a big improvement. The guys that did it used one of the plastic sump pits (available at most hardware and big box type stores) essentially break out a hole in the floor and dig out enough to get the pit down flush (fill it with water if you need to keep it from floating), then fill back in around the pit, and patch with concrete. If the pit turns out a little high, trim it with a hot knife after the concrete sets up. Install pump(s) in the pit, plumb as needed.

In terms of getting the water into the pit, they wanted to sell us a system of slotted pipes under the floor that would connect to the pit, but since we mostly didn't have a flooding problem, we didn't see the need. Instead they simply cut out the circular knockouts at the top of the pit, and put in a short length of 4" drain pipe, slotted on the bottom side with ~1/4" slots every couple of inches. They made a big point of saying that a lot of people punched lots of holes in the pit bottom and ended up with a pump that ran constantly as they were trying to pump down the water table. Instead by having the pit inlets just under the basement concrete, we were only trying to lower the water level enough to keep the basement dry.... Works great!

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.