Allowed clearance VS possible clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
My ventis chimney manual states my wall pass through must “pass 6 inches into the room”, then I need to install a 90 degree elbow of stove pipe to connect the stove, so I’m guessing it’s pretty much physically impossible to have a stove connected sitting less than 12 inches from the wall.

Meanwhile my double wall stove pipe has a 6 inch required clearance to the wall and my stove manual states the stove can be 7 inches from the wall with double wall pipe.

What gives??? How do I enjoy the benefits of double wall pipes having closer clearances if I cant even physically hook the stove up that close?

Did I just discover a disadvantage of a through the wall thimble setup?

Maybe I should pass up on the advantages of the double wall and go with single wall and cut my 90 degree elbow down as close as possible?

As I’ve found with my pellet stove, I’m glad I chose to put it a couple more inches from wall than required. Accessing the back of stove would have been a real pain.

Reactions: Rob_Red
I think 6" class A going into the room with a 6" dvl elbow puts you right at 12" then depending on the stoves rear clearance and flue collar location determines how far back the stove can sit in relation to the chimney connection.
I made the switch from single wall to double wall pipe years ago, and I have to say that the double wall is so much better made, stainless steel and lasts, I suppose single wall welded seam is hearty stuff but the other snap single wall is junk and I will never use that again.

Reactions: Rob_Red
Double wall pipe has closer clearances as measured in the radial direction. That has nothing to do with how close your stove can be to the wall.

Double wall pipe has closer clearances as measured in the radial direction. That has nothing to do with how close your stove can be to the wall.

What is the difference? I know the stove it’s self has a minimum clearance in my case it’s 7’. So to me this means If I didn’t go through the wall and went straight up through the house (eliminating the need for an elbow or my thimble sticking into the room 6’) I would be able to run the stove 7 inches from the wall and the pipe 6 inches from combustibles. However Since I’m going through the wall I will need to space out 12’

What do you mean? I know the stove it’s self has a minimum clearance in my case it’s 7’. So to me this means If I didn’t go through the wall and went straight up through the house (eliminating the need for an elbow or my thimble sticking into the room 6’) I would be able to run the stove 7 inches from the wall and the pipe 6 inches from combustibles. However Since I’m going through the wall I will need to space out 12’

You equated using double wall pipe to the ability to move your stove closer to the wall. Double wall pipe has nothing to do with that (when looking at a thru the wall set up).

Now it turns out you ar comparing wall closeness for a straight up and out set up and a thru the wall set up.

None of this has to do with the specs of double wall pipe.

What is the difference? I know the stove it’s self has a minimum clearance in my case it’s 7’. So to me this means If I didn’t go through the wall and went straight up through the house (eliminating the need for an elbow or my thimble sticking into the room 6’) I would be able to run the stove 7 inches from the wall and the pipe 6 inches from combustibles. However Since I’m going through the wall I will need to space out 12’
Right, but in hindsight you might like the stove further away, nothing is more nerve racking then an accidental 800 deg stove stop from leaving the air open to long with smaller splits ripping, knowing that you exceeded the clearances from the manufacturer provides much peace of mind at times.

Reactions: bholler and Rob_Red