Almost punky wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
I scored about 15 big rounds of elm earlier this summer, and just got around to splitting it today. It turned out to be pretty lite and almost punky. The grain structure was virtually gone, but it's dry, and I split it all easily and stacked it. I'll use it for early season burning.

Wondering... What's the BTU content of wood in that condition? Anyone know?

I can't give you a BTU number or formula, but You lose ALOT once it becomes punky or semi punky.
It burns fast, not as hot, and the bad parts will turn more into a clump than they will burn. Like a big chinker.
Thats what I ran into last year anyways.

I have some oak that is fairly thick with punk on the outside but good solid heartwood. I call it match light firewood.

I had some semi-punky elm just like that last spring. Easiest splitting elm ever. Mine still had a decent dry weight, and it burned fine. I'd put it in the pine/silver maple btu range.

Good stuff to burn when your home on the weekend. Helps save the good stuff for later on. Heat is heat. Burn time will just be shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.