Almost Ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kork

Nov 25, 2008
Southern NJ
Well my Jotul F 500 is scheduled for Dec 15th installation. I should have the hearth pad by then ( I Hope). Ordered 1 cord of seasoned wood (stacked & covered) made an ash pail,gloves, shovel, ash rake,kindling. Don't have a thermometer yet never used one on my old waterford. Any other suggestions for getting up and running?

kork said:
Well my Jotul F 500 is scheduled for Dec 15th installation. I should have the hearth pad by then ( I Hope). Ordered 1 cord of seasoned wood (stacked & covered) made an ash pail,gloves, shovel, ash rake,kindling. Don't have a thermometer yet never used one on my old waterford. Any other suggestions for getting up and running?

you really should get a thermometer, it will help you learn your new stove

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get a cord of seasoned firewood.

First purchase should be a moisture meter to check that "seasoned" cord of wood. After the shocking discovery that the wood isn't actually seasoned, you can go ahead and order 3-4 more cords of "seasoned" wood so at least you will be ready to roll next season...

I hope I'm wrong, but "seasoned" all too often means "not split this month."

The wood looks and sounds pretty good to me, it's slightly grey in color, most of the bark fell off when I was haulin and stacking, pretty fair amount of end checking, as well as that hollow sound.
Hank

The moisture meter will tell you for sure, and it's very inexpensive.

Why just one cord? You can burn a cord of wood in one very cold month.

Gonna try and scrounge some, plus I need to give my checkbook a rest......at least till after X-mas my wood guy assured me he would have it all through the season.

Hi Kork,

Where in South Jersey did you get your Jotul? What was the price of the insert (if you don't mind)? The price that I got was $2,583.00. Just comparing.

Thanks

I went with the matt black ( he had one in stock) pluse I think the enameled was about 500.00 more. For just the stove with screen and side door lock I think it was 2100.00. Manahawkin area.

make sure you have some matches, or a lighter

They don't come with ignitor buttons? LOL

Kinda gettin a late start arent you? You one of thise procrastinators?

better late than never i guess

Definitely get a stovetop thermometer - they're relatively cheap but worth their weight in gold. I also agree with others to get a moisture meter and check that wood. My "seasoned wood" was nowhere close but it will be perfect for next year. Make sure you have a decent fireplace toolset (i.e. shovel, stoker, etc.) These will come in handy while you manhandle wood in there. Also, make sure you have plenty of kindling collected and stored away where it's nice and dry. Few things are worse then hunting around under the snow trying to find a bit of kindling to get started ;)

Oh and agree on the matches or lighter. Rubbing two sticks together gets old after awhile - but I hear it's a good aerobic workout...

Almost forgot - make sure to send pictures of your stove when she's crankin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.