Alternative Energy Sell Back, State of Massachusetts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

I hear briefly on the radio today that the state of Massachusetts pass legislation today that allows homeowners and small business to sell power generated by Solar or Wind to the Utility Companies. Anyone else hear about this?

You mean the standard net metering scenario? It's been around forever and I am shocked (pun) that MA is just now allowing it. In most cases you can only reduce your bill and never actually make money. What it allows is for the grid tied solar or wind system to use the grid as their battery bank. Since the wind only blow so often and the sun doesn't shine at night, you need batteries so why not use the grid?

I did not hear that but I heard that now our electric companies will pay retail rather than wholesale for any energy they buy from homeowners. Nothing on tonight's news, maybe Thursday's. If true that will be a big incentive to go solar. Be safe.
Ed

It was in the local paper yeaterday. They will now pay retail for homeowner generated electricity. You will need two meters and must apply for a permit. As far as I know, you also need a frequency modulater ($2000). I would love to here that that is not true. InterestingLEE, you can asign your surplus power to someone else's account.

Is there anyway to generate electricity through your wood stove?

Dune said:
It was in the local paper yeaterday. They will now pay retail for homeowner generated electricity. You will need two meters and must apply for a permit. As far as I know, you also need a frequency modulater ($2000). I would love to here that that is not true. InterestingLEE, you can asign your surplus power to someone else's account.
That's great news Dune. We're thinking of going that way and this sweetens the pot. Be safe.
Ed

k3c4forlife said:
Is there anyway to generate electricity through your wood stove?

One option would be TEGs or thermo electric generators. They currently are only 4% efficient and rather expensive, although MIT is working on a new tech. that looks to return about 20% efficiency. The other option is a stirling cycle combined heat and power system. They are somewhat common in Europe, also expensive. They other option is of course a steam engine running a generator, very complex, hard to permit, potentialy dangerous. The best option IMO, is the stirling.

Status
Not open for further replies.