aluminum cans for creosote removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
GREAT NEWS! I'VE FOUND A BETTER WAY AND IT IS EVEN EASIER!

Open firebox door, insert good dry wood. Close door and let it burn. With this method, cleaning becomes less and less of a problem; stove works like it is supposed to work and family stays nice and warm without the fear of chimney fires. Check chimney after each cord of wood burned. Clean chimney as necessary; usually annually.

WHAT? Burning seasoned wood and burning hot enough reduces creosote? That's crazy talk Dennis . . . I mean I need to find some way to spend my money on some magical, high-tech or some old trick my Pepsi-delivery truck friend's oil burner tech uncle's grandfather said works the best . . . I've heard (and read on the internet so it must be the gospel truth) that burning beer cans with drywall marinated in potato peels will leave your chimney as clean as a baby's bottom (although I've seen some baby's bottoms and sometimes they're none too clean. ;) :) )

Captain Hornet said:
I have been burning Pepsi cans in my stove for a couple of weeks or so. I usually throw two or three in every day. The cans melt and just go away. I have not been able to find any left over traces of the cans so I know the burning part works. Grandfather told me about this and he is positive it works. I don't think all this foolishness does anything for my flue as I have detected no changes at all. Good way to get rid of Pepsi cans though. David

Up here in Yankee Land we simply return the cans for the nickel deposit . . . and in the Spring folks actually can be seen walking alongside the road picking up the cans and bottles . . . 5 cents isn't much . . . but it adds up quickly.

Jake, come on out here and double your money. They are worth a dime here. We still don't put them in our stoves either.

This is an old remedy that a lot of rural folks swear by. It is not an uncommon practice at all. As to whether it works or not, I don't have a clue. Be that as it may, I'm guilty of tossing in a few empty "daddy soda" cans myself now and again.
Joe

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, come on out here and double your money. They are worth a dime here. We still don't put them in our stoves either.

Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode when Kramer loaded up a mail van with returnables and headed to Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.