Aluminum cans help creosote reduce?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

Well as a precaution I had my chimney professionally cleaned today. First year with the Quad 7100 running 24/7 and I've burned close to 3.5 cords so I figured I would err on the side of caution and get it cleaned now rather than wait. Pipe was pretty clean, sweep said I should be good for once a year sweep if I keep burning dry wood.

Anyway the sweep and his buddy told me that I should toss an aluminum can into the fire every other day. Said it helps reduce creosote build up and also makes it easier to clean the pipe. The guy is old school and said he didn't know why it works but probably has something to do with the magnesium in the can. Anyone ever hear of this before??? Any harm if i do this?

Funny note: last night we didn't burn, first time since the install. Anyway, the family was misreable, everyone complaining including my 2 yr old who said it was too cold. Also everytime the furnace kicked on I felt like a utility meter counting how much it would cost. So far projected propane savings is approx $1500 for the year.

that's a nice hunk of change.

i should try that, i burn a old stove and it makes plenty of creosote
i hear the same for potatoe peals

SCFA said:
Anyway the sweep and his buddy told me that I should toss an aluminum can into the fire every other day. Said it helps reduce creosote build up and also makes it easier to clean the pipe. The guy is old school and said he didn't know why it works but probably has something to do with the magnesium in the can. Anyone ever hear of this before??? Any harm if i do this?

Funny note: last night we didn't burn, first time since the install. Anyway, the family was misreable, everyone complaining including my 2 yr old who said it was too cold. Also everytime the furnace kicked on I felt like a utility meter counting how much it would cost. So far projected propane savings is approx $1500 for the year.

See this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/288/

Status
Not open for further replies.