Amazing, some advice given in here, just amazing...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Since first signing up in 2006 here, I have seen so much good advice. From home DIY'ers and pros alike.
All for the common cause of helping others enjoy wood burning for heat, and ambiance, yet to do it safely as possible.

Sure there were a couple over zealous "code enforcers" around, but even their intention was to provide folks with proper, safe information to burn safely and smart.

I have to say, in the 8 years since coming here, the majority of the advice has always been top notch. Even debates stirred up a good thought process.
But the last few years, I have noticed so much crap for advice, that I call BS it as I see it, just that, crap.

What really concerns me, is the amount of actual/ self proclaimed (who really knows?) ,"Professionals" &/or "experienced for umpteenth godly amount of years" people giving out just plain bad advice.

This is why I will say take any info with a grain of salt. If they seem like they are talking out their arse, most likely they are, and really don't know crap, or have had bad burning/installing habits for many years.
Doing something wrong for many years, does NOT make you a professional or experienced at doing it right. It makes you experienced or a pro in doing something wrong for many years, and most likely giving poor advice for just as long.

I can only say, as I have said before. If you are looking for advice with anything in this world, consider it all with a grain of salt, and do much research, rather than rely on some person on the internet who thinks they know the answer. This is a great place for research, and some advice. I strongly urge when you see many with certain advice, to consider that advice over one or two individuals, who are more out to prove how "right" and "experienced" they are, than give your sound advice.

Some may even think they are giving good advise, and truly just don't know any better.
Just be careful in what you consider during your research and requests for advice.
Some can be poorly advised, dangerous, or even deadly down the road.

Shaking my damn head.

Since ...

.....Just be careful in what you consider during your research and requests for advice.
Some can be poorly advised, dangerous, or even deadly down the road.

Shaking my damn head.

Thanks, I will take your post "with a grain of salt".:p

What you said though can be true of a lot of things in life in general.

One of the issues that I find with the Hearth is that there is a lot of great info here, but it isn't often easy to find quickly. Many people come to ask questions that have simple answers, but experienced forum users get bored answering the same things time and again, so new forum users jump in and that can lead to uninformed opinions.

I don't find the stickies all that useful - I'm too lazy to click on all of the links!

What about an official hearth.com beginner's guide to burning handbook? I like the articles a lot, but they could be expanded and improved upon. We could then post some 'homework' for posters via a link to the appropriate chapter for easy questions.

I would be happy to offer my services to hearth.com LLC to write it ;).

I would be happy to offer my services to hearth.com LLC to write it ;).

Start a conversation with webfish, the site owner. I understand he pays the same for writing that he pays for moderating.

This is often the case with forums sites. The trolling (I call it) is often seasonal. It's been a long, old-fashioned winter this year and I guess a lot of folks are suffering from cabin fever. So they'll spend more time online to vent.

Maybe too many members see advice given that they realize is wrong, but don't speak up about it directly.

My only comment is membership has gone way up since 2006 (which is great) but that also means the increase in traffic and bad information. Personally this site has the best good advice to poor advice ratio that I have seen on a forum. Like others said though, your advice applies to life in general. Research, question, research some more. This should be a source not the only source.

Like any forum though, the same questions pop up over and over again and some of the wisest get burned out answering the same questions so they tend to drag there feet and the bad advice picks up. With the amount of people and post on here it is great to see so many of you that have been around for so long. From my experience that is also a rarity.

Maybe too many members see advice given that they realize is wrong, but don't speak up about it directly.
Agreed. Anyone that knows me, knows I have no problem speaking my mind, and pointing out if I believe advice is poor or dangerous.
Same goes for my advice, take with a grain of salt, unless the majority agrees with me, then I may be on to something.
I tend to offer input in things I have actually done or worked on, and know it is standard form or overkill even, or a few other things I feel I can offer knowledge about, otherwise I keep my cave mouth shut.

I also agree with pro that the ratio far outweighs on the side of positive, good advice. Although the ratio does seems to have gone up on the shat advice the last couple years (good still outweighing the poor). And also agreed to the factor of more members, and more bored winter stuck members. I do wish more would step up and advise if they feel some just piss poor advice is being given to some poor person that knows no better, and may head that advise and really set themselves up for issues on the horizon. I know there are a few true pros that know their stuff, and DIY's with true knowledge doing what they can, and it can feel redundant at times. I can't and won't turn the other way when I see shat for advice is given, and don't give a (insert your favorite cuss word here) what anyone thinks of me. I would rather seem like an ahole Neanderthal and avoid someone having to go through unnecessary heartache, then just wait for someone else to hopefully chime in.
I don't consider myself a pro, as I do not do it for a living, but long timers here know what I have done, and I will do almost anything to help a burning brother out.
Everyone stay warm, enjoy your heat, and may safety always prevail over stupidity.

My problem is I'm too busy installing this time of year to chime in very much. Thanks to the iPhone, its a little easier.

Busy is good, and you do more than many others as far as giving some good input.

Reactions: begreen
Busy is good, and you do more than many others as far as giving some good input.
Thanks.
This has been a very busy year so far! People are finding out the hard way that relying on others for your heat can be bad!

Not going to get into specifics, or point individuals out Redd. It seems pretty obvious to me, and I am sure others and even you may see this stuff at times.
I'm not referring to you. You have good advice in between your obvious sarcasm ;-)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Not going to get into specifics, or point individuals out Redd. It seems pretty obvious to me, and I am sure others and even you may see this stuff at times.
I'm not referring to you. You have good advice in between your obvious sarcasm ;-)

Ahhhh. . .

Thanks

Okay... I'll fess up. It's me!

Doing something wrong for many years, does NOT make you a professional or experienced at doing it right. It makes you experienced or a pro in doing something wrong for many years, and most likely giving poor advice for just as long...
<applause>

Like what, for example?
  • Claiming one type of stove is junk, primarily because they don't know how to run their stove.
  • Claiming economic steel stoves are junk (you get what you pay for is the claim.)
  • Insisting certain size stoves will magically produce more heat than larger stoves.
  • Insisting their stove will heat far more square footage than it is possible.
  • Pushing new buyers towards the stove they own because that is the best stove ever.
  • New stoves need perfect wood
  • New stoves are complicated and requires tons of research.
  • Cast irons stoves are the best materials for stoves.
  • Can't get a soapstone stove over XXX degrees
  • Something, something, BTU ratings, something, something, emissions.

• Claiming one type of stove is junk, primarily because they don't know how to run their stove.
  • Claiming economic steel stoves are junk (you get what you pay for is the claim.)
  • Insisting certain size stoves will magically produce more heat than larger stoves.
  • Insisting their stove will heat far more square footage than it is possible.
  • Pushing new buyers towards the stove they own because that is the best stove ever.
  • New stoves need perfect wood
  • New stoves are complicated and requires tons of research.
  • Cast irons stoves are the best materials for stoves.
  • Can't get a soapstone stove over XXX degrees
  • Something, something, BTU ratings, something, something, emissions.

Guilty. Though I stand by much of that horrible advice.

Last edited:
At least some of BB's can be covered by the fact that many have experience with only one stove or brand I think.. I am lucky in that in my short time I have been able to play pretty hard with 4 stoves, from 3 different manufacturers. But I don't consider myself a pro in anyway, and certainly hope I am not a culprit in this.. the thread about glass cleaning not-withstanding..

Oh, and you can't get soapstone stoves above a certain XXX temperature. They turn to lava if you do. (my dad once "melted dirt" in a runaway ceramics kiln..)

Agreed. Anyone that knows me, knows I have no problem speaking my mind, and pointing out if I believe advice is poor or dangerous.

you have to go one way or the other. You can't "point them out" and "not point them out"

I see this on every forum i go to. The experienced telling the unexperienced that they are dragging the site down with incorrect advice.

If you truely believe this,, you would have already disputed all of the bad advice you have seen,,instead of starting a thread telling everyone it "should be done"

I have seen you disagree with advice, so I think your heart is in the right place on it,,, just noting the "this place is going to he!! thread" that is the common denominator of all forums :)

Last edited:
"All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed." - Montaigne

There is a reason that is in my sig... just as I would have others apply it to me on any forum, I apply it to them (whether they like it or not). The internet is a great tool if used wisely. But there is now simply TOO MUCH info out there, so it has to be filtered and vetted as to its quality. That takes a little extra time, but it's simple math: the more overall info available, the more useless/false/harmful info available (especially in politics!).

As an example, I do not quickly judge items on Amazon by their "average" customer review; I look at a few 5* and a few 1* reviews and get a feel for WHO is talking, and WHY they are giving a product thumbs up or thumbs down. Even then, its easy to get burned: I just bought an expensive pair of "warm" (NOT) gloves on the basis of the only two reviews found, both 5*. Even if I had found these gloves in a store, they feel nice, and there is no way I would have known they sucked until they were field tested. But now my 1* exists as a counterbalance to the advice that says "buy these great gloves".

It doesn't worry me at all that a certain amount of bad info is floating around out there, and right here on this forum. In the pre-internet days, you could just as easily stumble onto bad info from a friend, relative, salesman or other "pro"... but back then, you didn't have the vast resource of the web to discover what idiots such bad-advice-mongers were!

To come on this or any site, and NOT take with a grain of salt the very first piece of uncorroborated advice you see, would be foolish... no different than walking down the street and asking the first guy you see how you should invest your retirement funds, and then doing it. Frankly, if you're that dumb, you get what you deserve.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Two of my favorite sayings at work:

"I heard" & "someone said."

Recently a new person we hired started smelling like alcohol after lunch. He's a great worker so I was a bit startled that this happened all of a sudden. When we talked he told me several of his co-workers told him that written policy said it was ok to have 2 beers at lunch. Come to find out all 8 technicians believed this policy existed. WhenI talked to everyone no one actually read this policy, they heard or someone said. I am just as much at fault for this because I have never reviewed the alcohol/drug policy with the team.

Bad information is everywhere and I'm sure I've passed on my share of it through the years. I'm all for calling someone out when it's BS. I would do it privately myself but to each his own.

Most of the forums I visit end up being a battle of egos. It's difficult to have a discussion when everyone is right with no exceptions. That's why I like this forum so much. Everyone seems pretty reasonable. I've been involved with cutting and burning wood since I can remember and thought myself to be somewhat of an expert. Then I found this forum. I didn't realize that this is an actual science/art. It's no longer cut, split, stack and burn. It is so much more than that. This forum has greatly improved the way I do things and the information is invaluable. The best part is that everyone is willing to share. So, thanks to everyone who contributes.

Reactions: woodgeek
Before posting here remember that:
a) Hearth.com is about helping people. It is not about pushing "my way or the highway".
b) What you are reading here are opinions, that's all
c) Humor often does not come off well in a short post, sarcasm even less so
d) People are not mind readers. Be clear in your communications to avoid misinterpretation

I try to talk on the subjects/products I know & what I've learned in the field. I know that there a number of stove designs & manufacturers that I am unfamiliar with & I try not to comment on their issues unless the post has been sitting for a while in the "unanswered threads" category. Even then, unless I can download an install manual, read thru it & find an answer, I won't comment. I may be one of those that HW refers to who cites years of experience, but it doesn't bother me, because I DO have it & that's all I can draw upon to help people in here. I was taught by people with MORE years in this industry than I will ever hope to have & I truly believe that I was instructed correctly. I still do occasional installs & service on wood, pellet & gas appliances, & hope to for the foreseeable future. I do it primarily because I know how to do it safely, since in this industry a mistake can mean death. I WILL admit that the extra cash is a nice incentive.

Before posting here remember that:
a) Hearth.com is about helping people. It is not about pushing "my way or the highway".
b) What you are reading here are opinions, that's all
c) Humor often does not come off well in a short post, sarcasm even less so
d) People are not mind readers. Be clear in your communications to avoid misinterpretation

Here, let me help out.
This is just my opinion, but,
I have NO IDEA what you just said.

Plus, I will make this post a little longer so that the sarcasm is NOT missed.;lol

Seriously though: All those points are spot on.

Reactions: blazincajun
Status
Not open for further replies.