Amazon: Super Splitter by Fiskars on sale for $33.50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
burn it said:
Couldn't resist the instant gratification of 2 day shipping. Now if I can just remember to cancel that free trial.
How dangerous is this thing. I have used a maul and have never even had any near miss haps.

What, didn't you read the contract before signing? :bug: :lol:

You can cancel Amazon Prime at any time and still get the benefits for the entire month according to the web site. Of course, I still haven't canceled mine, so who am I to talk. :roll:

Mine came today, just a little while ago, so I haven't had a chance to swing it at any wood yet. First observation? It ain't even close to as sharp as I expected it to be. I feel like making a video to show you guys me letting it smack into my open palm without a scratch on me. I even ran it over the soft part of my forearm and it didn't make a mark. If I did that with my Gransfors hatchet the way it came to me (or any of my several axes) I'd be in the ER right now. Now, I don't feel that extreme sharpness has any place in splitting wood in the first place, so I really don't think it matters, but all I can say is that mine looks like it came from the factory the way it was supposed to, and boys, it just ain't close to sharp. But I'm sure it will deliver as promised when it comes to actually splitting the wood. Interesting geometry to the thing that isn't readily apparent in a 2-D photo.

So I guess I'm still way more afraid of splitting with an axe than with this terrifying splitter. I've been using an axe to do a lot of splitting for most of my life, so I think I won't be too scared of this bad boy.

Now watch me cut my dang foot off tomorrow. :p
I want to see you run mine over your forearm with out cutting it, I think they forgot to sharpen yours, dam near cut my hand putting in the holster one day.

ok, I just ordered mine. I still think i'm gonna need a peg pirate leg when I'm done using it, but I can't legitimately talk smack about it until I've given it some real use. Splitting wood is a lot of work, so I'm hopeful that this will be a nice tool, I'm just skeptical.

Quads, I'll be up this fall to let you use it.

Danno77 said:
ok, I just ordered mine. I still think i'm gonna need a peg pirate leg when I'm done using it

Well, it certainly is a tool that requires caution. Just because it doesn't meet my definition of sharp doesn't mean I'll be wanting to whack myself in the foot with it. It'd cause some pretty severe damage for sure.

I'm a shorty (5'6") with really short legs, so I'm already pretty close to the ground. Tall guys might want to consider standing behind a safety log placed so that it will take any errant blows rather than burying the thing between your toes. I use a safety log when splitting with an axe in the bush, because I really won't make it to civilization ten miles out with a six inch gash in my leg. At home, I take my chances and just plant my feet wide and have always been able to control the axe with the strength of my arms and shoulders. May be more difficult with a 4 1/4 pound head, however. We'll see.

Danno77 said:
ok, I just ordered mine. I still think i'm gonna need a peg pirate leg when I'm done using it, but I can't legitimately talk smack about it until I've given it some real use. Splitting wood is a lot of work, so I'm hopeful that this will be a nice tool, I'm just skeptical.

Quads, I'll be up this fall to let you use it.
Come on up! That would be great!

I'll just watch you use it though, I don't think I will be able to try it. I don't have a splitting block, or spare bungees, safety logs, or any of the necessary accessories. When I'm splitting in the woods, the head of my maul just buries itself safely in the ground. Ha ha!

oldspark said:
I want to see you run mine over your forearm with out cutting it, I think they forgot to sharpen yours, dam near cut my hand putting in the holster one day.

Yeah, I must have gotten a dull one. Here it is, failing the forearm gashing test.

Anyway, it looks nice standing between two of my long time favorite axes. ;-)

Attachments

• Fiskars Fails Forearm Test.jpg
    Fiskars Fails Forearm Test.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 216
  • New Axe Joins Collection.jpg
    New Axe Joins Collection.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 216
Post a picture of the edge, it does not look like mine at all, I was not doubting you and stand by what I said before, they forgot to sharpen yours, any one know are they doing something different with the edge now.

The thickness of the teflon coating might make the edge seem duller than it actually is. Split a few logs first, to wear away the teflon from the edge and see if the edge is any sharper. With caution of course.

Sisu said:
The thickness of the teflon coating might make the edge seem duller than it actually is. Split a few logs first, to wear away the teflon from the edge and see if the edge is any sharper. With caution of course.

Yeah, I thought about that. Seems pretty thick, and it completely covers the edge. Interesting thing is that the packaging that came with the splitter says to use the Fiskars sharpener to maintain the edge. I've used sharpeners like that before. If it ain't sharp now, it sure will be after I run it through that device several times. ;-) I'm taking everyone's advice to heart, and I plan on being extra careful with it until I get a feeling for it. I thinks that's sound advice for any new tool.

There was a protective coating on mine when I received it but that was obvious.

oldspark said:
There was a protective coating on mine when I received it but that was obvious.

I'm curious to hear how your edge differs from mine. Mine has a secondary bevel about 3/16" wide (very slightly hollow-ground) all across the edge. There is also a very slight radius to the edge as can be seen in the photo of the edge resting against the counter top.

The other photo is the best I could do to show the grind in profile.

Attachments

• Grind In Profile.jpg
    Grind In Profile.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Secondary Bevel.jpg
    Secondary Bevel.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 262
Battenkiller said:
Sisu said:

Yeah, I thought about that. Seems pretty thick, and it completely covers the edge. Interesting thing is that the packaging that came with the splitter says to use the Fiskars sharpener to maintain the edge. I've used sharpeners like that before. If it ain't sharp now, it sure will be after I run it through that device several times. ;-) I'm taking everyone's advice to heart, and I plan on being extra careful with it until I get a feeling for it. I thinks that's sound advice for any new tool.

You don't need a Fiskars sharpener to maintain the edge. I use a good quality sharpening stone, following the original edge angle by hand and eye, getting it shaving sharp. I am sure though the Fiskars sharpener might take some of the guess work out of it. Especially if you are just new to sharpening tools.

Yours does look like mine so not sure if there is a difference, I do know I would not feel comfortable pushing it into my for arm like yu did, I was surprised you could do that. I would take a picture but do not think it would show anything.

Sisu said:
I am sure though the Fiskars sharpener might take some of the guess work out of it. Especially if you are just new to sharpening tools.

I was just mentioning that they recommended their sharpening tool. I'm an old hand at getting shaving sharp edges, just surprised that Fiskars isn't. Maybe they should have run mine through the Fiskars sharpener a few passes before they packaged it up. :cheese:

Like I said earlier, I don't think the edge had to be shaving sharp. As long as the geometry is maintained, I'll bet it works fine keeping it just as sharp as it came.

I remember back during my first year at Boy Scout camp. Ex-scouts here probably recall that you weren't allowed to use an axe or knife until you passed your "Tote 'N Chip" test. You got a card that you had to carry with you at all times when you were using an edge tool. If a higher-ranked scout saw you doing something wrong, he was supposed to cut one of the corners off the card. After four corners were gone, your card was invalid and you had to test for a new one.

I was so proud of myself when I passed my test. Dad bought me a new scout knife (with the fork and spoon attached) and a small hatchet. They drummed it into our heads that a dull axe was a dangerous axe, so I set about getting my edge as sharp as I could get it with dad's oil stones. I got pretty good at it, even as a kid. There was a time when I decide to spend the afternoon sharpening one of the troops full-size axes. I was beaming when it finally shaved some hair off my arm (little bit that was there), and I went up to the Scoutmaster to show him. He ran his finger across the edge and blood came pouring out. "Danny", he said, "that's way too sharp. See how dangerous it is?." :roll: :lol:

Well I can shave hair off my arm with mine if that means anything.

oldspark said:
Well I can shave hair off my arm with mine if that means anything.

Really? Yeah, that's sharp alright. And it came that way?

H-mmm... I'll have to look for a splash of green paint. I must have gotten the equivalent of safety chain on mine.

OK, went out and gave it a good try.

It seems to explode the wood apart in a very convincing manner if the rounds are small, but it took 5-6 well placed whacks to get it through a 18" long, 14" thick cherry round. My 6 pound maul took 3 swings for an nearly identical round. A 20" shagbark hickory round about 10" thick just laughed at it. That one took 3 swings with the 6 pounder, but it turned out to be pretty stringy stuff.

It didn't get sharper as I used it, but the coating wore away on the edge to reveal a fairly nasty burr on the cutting edge. A few swipes with my 1000 grit Shapton stone took all that away and it was nice and sharp. Didn't seem to make a difference in the splitting, though. The 6 pound maul is more powerful, but it is considerably more unwieldy. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't compared them side-by-side.

So, it seems like the right tool (better than my old standby axe) for smaller stuff, the 6 pound maul for the bigger stuff, and the old wedge 'n sledge for the rest. At least that's my first impression.

Second impression? What the hell am I doing? I really need to get a hydraulic splitter. I'm too old for this crap.

Battenkiller said:
Ex-scouts here probably recall that you weren't allowed to use an axe or knife until you passed your "Tote 'N Chip" test.

That brings back memories... remember clearing the area by holding the axe head in your hand, and swinging it handle out all around and above your head to check for obstructions?

I'm pretty careful with the PPE (boots gloves and glasses for the axe) but I bet if I dug out my old handbook I'd find I break some of those old safety rules....

:) Mine works great for any wood that is not what I call a "problem", straight grained wood it slices through it like butter, most of the stuff that gives me problems doesnt split that easy with my 8 lber, it save wear and tear on my shoulder and yes I would like a hyd. splitter also as I am in the "too old for this sheet" club.

Battenkiller said:
...What the hell am I doing? I really need to get a hydraulic splitter. I'm too old for this crap.

I've already long since come to realize and accept this inevitablility. Hydraulic splitter and Fiskars is all I use. I don't even have my old wedges/sledges or mauls/axes anymore. Got rid of them because I knew I was never going to use them again. I'm not out to impress anyone or prove anything...I just need to get the job done. I use the tools that make it as easy on me as it can be. It's still plenty of work. Rick

I am still kicking myself for not jumping on that 429 dollar splitter from HD.

Just a note in regard to the Super Splitter sharpness. As stated, it probably isn't necessary to have it shaving sharp for splitting. However, I have found the sharpness to be quite useful for lopping branches off branches on a log or cutting the stringy wood strands that sometimes hold two splits together. It saves me time by not having to switch axes.

oldspark said:
I am still kicking myself for not jumping on that 429 dollar splitter from HD.

I'm finding out it pays to check out every interesting thread every day. By the time I even opened that thread the sale was all over. :-S

Sisu said:
You don't need a Fiskars sharpener to maintain the edge. I use a good quality sharpening stone, following the original edge angle by hand and eye, getting it shaving sharp. I am sure though the Fiskars sharpener might take some of the guess work out of it. Especially if you are just new to sharpening tools.

True, while you don't need it, it just makes it easy. A couple swipe across the edge and it trues it up and you're ready to swing again. I bought the sharpener one time when I was at lowes, they had them on clearance for $3 or something so I grabbed one, just for the benefit of making it quick and easy.

Sisu said:
Just a note in regard to the Super Splitter sharpness. As stated, it probably isn't necessary to have it shaving sharp for splitting. However, I have found the sharpness to be quite useful for lopping branches off branches on a log or cutting the stringy wood strands that sometimes hold two splits together. It saves me time by not having to switch axes.

I agree. If I find that I missed cutting a small (up to 1 1/2") branch off the round a quick whack or two will take care of that before I split it.

not that I'm watching it like a hawk or anything, but my fiskars should be here today....

Code:
August 10, 2010    06:14:00 AM      Quincy IL US      Out for delivery
August 10, 2010    06:14:00 AM     Quincy IL US     Arrival Scan
August 10, 2010    03:30:00 AM     Earth City MO US     Departure Scan
August 10, 2010    01:24:00 AM     Earth City MO US     Arrival Scan
August 9, 2010     10:27:00 AM     Little Rock AR US     Departure Scan
August 9, 2010     09:21:00 AM     Little Rock AR US     Arrival Scan
August 9, 2010     02:04:00 AM     Dallas TX US     Departure Scan
August 6, 2010     06:00:00 PM     Dallas TX US     Shipment received by carrier
August 6, 2010     03:03:50 PM     US     Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

Danno77 said:
not that I'm watching it like a hawk or anything, but my fiskars should be here today....

Code:
August 10, 2010    06:14:00 AM      Quincy IL US      Out for delivery
August 10, 2010    06:14:00 AM     Quincy IL US     Arrival Scan
August 10, 2010    03:30:00 AM     Earth City MO US     Departure Scan
August 10, 2010    01:24:00 AM     Earth City MO US     Arrival Scan
August 9, 2010     10:27:00 AM     Little Rock AR US     Departure Scan
August 9, 2010     09:21:00 AM     Little Rock AR US     Arrival Scan
August 9, 2010     02:04:00 AM     Dallas TX US     Departure Scan
August 6, 2010     06:00:00 PM     Dallas TX US     Shipment received by carrier
August 6, 2010     03:03:50 PM     US     Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

And how many times did you check outside the side door since 6:14 AM this morning? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.