Amazon to use quad copters to deliver packages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2010
mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
Do not know how to link to it but Amazon is in the process of getting FAA approval to use quad copters to deliver packages to your door in less than 30 mins.
google it, interesting. I do not think it will ever work but...................
Cant believe no one else has posted this.

I can think of 1000 reasons why this may not be a roaring success. Some obvious ones and others like ,WIll these things have RADAR to keep then from crashing into each other and buildings ,trees, ect. One of the obvious questions is, at what $ cost will this happen. Might only be for those willing to pay $50 for delivery.

apparently they are spending millions to try and make it work

I hear dominos pizza is looking into it as well

An advertising stunt the night before cyber Monday.

Reactions: Ashful and Jags
Tomorrow it's Sinterklaas in Holland, seated on his white horse he throws parcels down the chimney. He'll be out of a job soon.

A 30 second ad on 60 Minutes costs something like a hundred grand. Amazon got a free fifteen minutes. Freakin brilliant.

I agree with BB it was an advertising stunt. If it ever does happen it will be prohibitively expensive.

Webbie…the pcworld article is exactly where my mind went with the drone deliveries in the first place. Where are these UAV's taking off from? They'd half to have a fulfillment center in every city in every state. Not gonna happen.

I like the PC article thing about landing. Ask any helicopter pilot about electric and telephone lines.

Ah, all ye of little faith. That's why guys like Bezos and friends are billionaires...they think ahead!!!

How about one of these with lots of smaller quads attached to it???
http://www.e-volo.com/

In the end, electric flight is fairly inexpensive. I can just imagine all you guys lamenting that it would be impossible that someday there would be paved roads and trucks to deliver packages to everyone within one day......

:cool:

I want to be reincarnated just so I can watch all this stuff happen. Meanwhile, my book is becoming a best seller.......

Look at that! #4 in reference!
At this rate, I'll be able to retire and fly quadcopters all day long....

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 9.27.34 PM.png

I know. I am a Luddite. Stuck making the small bucks for 40 years trying to make the crap the visionaries came up with actually work.

Yeah, this one has turned int oa couple of long running discussions on my favorite RC helicopter site.

The talk is that it will be limited to packages under 5lb delivered within 5 miles of one of their hubs for prime members.

I can see this actually being cheaper than regular delivery long term when you consider how much it costs to operate delivery trucks and pay drivers.

The copters they will use will be nothing like the toys in the mall obviously.

I can see a lot of problems still - legal issues, how does the thing avoid collisions with other air trafic, your car, how does it know not to drop the box on your kids head, etc. But I'm sure these are solvable issues. If you saw an R/C helicopter from the 1990's and looked at a modern drone you wouldn't believe how the technology has evolved so far, just give it time...

Ideas like this make me think of bigger picture questions, like what to we do in 20 years when automation and AI means there just are not nearly enough to keep 7 billion people busy... If any of you have ever read the Isaac Asimov "Robot" novels you will know what I mean

Personally I think a network of pneumatic tubes will make the Bezos copters obsolete...I saw it in futurama.

Personally I think a network of pneumatic tubes will make the Bezos copters obsolete...I saw it in futurama.

It used to work getting payments upstairs and the receipts back in Penny's and Sear's in the 50's ;lol

Damn I'm old.

Found a snapshot of you hard at it...

pneumatic-tube.jpg

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
It used to work getting payments upstairs and the receipts back in Penny's and Sear's in the 50's ;lol

Damn I'm old.

Still in use in some hospitals . . . wife worked at a place where they shipped meds and other items via the tubes . . . and once in awhile they would clean off the nurses desk by sending the crap off to random locations via the tubes . . . and then there was that ice cream incident she told me about . . . I guess that didn't end quite as well.

Ideas like this make me think of bigger picture questions, like what to we do in 20 years when automation and AI means there just are not nearly enough to keep 7 billion people busy... If any of you have ever read the Isaac Asimov "Robot" novels you will know what I mean
Not looking to make this political, but last I checked, robotics repair paid way more than delivery driver. Programmer more than that, and automation engineer, even more. There'll be lots of good jobs in manufacturing, programming, and maintaining those drones.

Close a door, open a window...

Status
Not open for further replies.