American Harvest 6039t questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbest1

Feb 26, 2014
Bergen ny
I am new to pellet stoves. The manual is not very helpful with some stuff. The manual shows a different control board than I have. So it is of no help with settings. Mine does not have An "A", "B", or "C" button. It has four different controls- heat, room fan, exhaust fan, and aux. Plus on and off and a button for manual or auto. Not sure what to set it on.
Also the manual say to make sure that both clean outs are in the correct location in the stove, but what is the correct location? They can be slid forward or back.
The stove is working now but want to make sure it is running right.
Thanks Jason

Jason,
There are 2 " clean-outs ", located in the firebox, one on each side of the burn pot.they move up and down.
They should be down and the two screws snug. ( except for when cleaning the unit. )
There is a pic ofm them in the manual.
Then there are 2 sliding " ash dumps ". They are located on the front bottom of the stove, one on either side of the manual damper.
They should be pushed all the way in while stove is in operation.
If you do not have the abc control board, someone may have upgraded it.
There is a new member here who is a u.s.stoves tech, i'm sure he will be glad to help with your settings.
Hope this helps.

Congrats on the new stove.

It sounds like you have an updated control board. I very brief overview:
Heat Range - General heat setting, controls the pellet feed and any other setting that you have set to auto "A"
Room Fan - Controls the room blower speed. Always most efficient to keep this as high as it will go, but it is loud. In auto "A" it will change with the heat range setting.
Draft Fan - Controls the speed of the exhaust fan. Modifications to this will change the rate of combustion air. Too high and you send heat out the flue, too low and you build up pellets/corn in the burn pot. Auto "A' will adjust with the heat range.
Aux - Controls the agitator in the burn pot. In auto "A" it will adjust with heat range setting.
Manual/auto - Manual mode changes the draft fan to high regardless of the heat range setting, thought here is that you can control the burn rate manually with the damper. Auto setting draft fan will change with the room heat or to the setting you place it at. I don't know anyone that runs in manual.

Advice:
If you do not have an OAK (outside air kit) get one. The manual damper pulls air from inside your home to burn, OAK supplies outside air to burn. You don't want to pull outside air in, you will have to reheat it.
I put the AUX on the lowest setting that I can for motor life and auger life, I have never noticed any downside to this.
On my board if you press AUX up and Draft Fan up at the same time you can control the upper limit for the fan, the same for the down arrows. This works for draft fan, and pellet feed "heat range", you will have to customize these settings to match pellet quality and brand.
Both clean-outs will need to be completely closed, you will pull air in around you burn pot and reduce combustion efficiency and decrease stove temps while increasing exhaust temps.
If you have not already done so, install a thermostat. This will turn the stove to low when satisfied and kick it back up to your setting when calling for more heat (also why the auto "A' are nice to use)

If you go to the US Stove website you can download manuals for the stoves. I would check them out until you see the one that matches your control board and download that one. It sounds like your manual does not belong to your stove, which does not surprise me coming form US Stove. If you are in the 1 year warranty contact US Stove over the phone immediately when a problem occurs. My interactions with this have been very good thus far an they have sent replacement parts without hesitation. Now that I have worked the bugs out of my stove it seems to be running very well (knock on wood).

Reactions: Bob E
Thanks for the feed back! My stove does not have a manual damper. I do have two plates that sit/lay flat on the bottom of the burn chamber. They do slid back and forth. I will look at it when I get home from work. Thanks for the help.

Jason
For the controls on the newer 4-digit board you can reference the 6041 OM. The main diff. is going to be no igniter in your case.
http://www.usstove.com/resources/OwnersManuals/English Owners Manuals/6041.pdf
Sorry it took a while to get to you. I saw your post early this morning and before I could get this reply finished I got swamped.
as to the two clean out on the bottom of the burn box area, they should be all the way closed.
That unit, most likely, came with an older A B C board and some one bought the upgrade board for it (good for you) as stated above. Ideally you want to try and run the unit on auto (draft fan set equal to heat range). There were three runs of that model. The first ones had no damper (like yours). They then added a damper (like brewer was saying). The newer ones were given the "4-digit" boards like the one you have. They have a manual damper free upgrade kit, called a 69FFK. Although us senior techs here all seem to agree that it's a better running stove without it. I wouldn't put it on mine if I had an older 6039 IMHO. If you decide to run a OAK it become moot any way. But if you want it we will send it to you free (PM me and I'll set that in motion for you) It's a good stove and you should get great heat from it. It also tends to be very durable too and simple.
If you are running straight pellets you can even remove the agitator, it is really mostly for other fuels such as cherry pits, corn etc. it's up to you. As far as an OAK well there is a really good thread going on about that now on here worth the read and make your own mind up. I run one but I also have a valve on mine to control air flow, again it's all personal pref.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help/info. It is really appreciated! I cleaned the stove tonight and did install an OAK. So far the changes I have made this evening have helped. It would be a lot nicer if it wasn't 8 degrees out. Thanks again.
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.