an honest cord...is that so hard to come by these days??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

got wood?

Jan 4, 2006
Acton, MA
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...02/got_wood_these_guys_know_how_it_stacks_up/

Bargfrede, who retired in 2004 and now lives in Florida, recently described an episode that occurred 10 to 15 years ago.

A resident of South Brookline, believing that a cord of firewood that he'd ordered was short, called the town.

''I said, 'If you stack it, I'll measure it,' " Bargfrede recalled.

Using a tape that had been specially calibrated and certified by the state's Division of Standards, Bargfrede tested the stack to see if it measured 4 feet high by 4 feet deep by 8 feet wide. The verdict: ''It wasn't even close."

Armed with police powers that come with the job, Bargfrede notified the wood vendor that it must either make good on the delivery or reduce its price.

Instead, the company took back the wood.

''That eliminated the complaint," said Bargfrede. ''But I didn't let it die at that point." Bargfrede reported the company to the Division of Standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.