An Id of a different sorts...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z33

Burning Hunk
Apr 14, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I had a load of long dead chestnut dropped back in August that had some little critters in it. I didn't see these grubs until the last 3 weeks or so when I started processing the chestnut and some of the oak it was piled with.

They are NUMEROUS in the chestnut and some seem to have moved to the oak. The make perfectly round holes and seem to live between the bark and wood.

Can some one tell me what I have here, should I be worried about the house and how do I kill them? I have already coated the yard in Terazacide as a preliminary step.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectrac...ranules-Lawn-Insect-Killer-HG-63941/100023081

Ha! They would make GREAT crappie bait.... I bet I have killed 200+ in the wood as I have been splitting it.... I am happy to collect some for you and mail them to you if youd like?
I'm not much of an ice fisherman but if they'll keep until spring I just may take you up on that!

That looks like a standard beetle grub. I get them in my firewood of many species regularly. I wouldn't worry about them at all. The adult beetles that layed the eggs were free ranging individuals who could have selected your house, live trees, or any other place to lay their eggs. They chose the firewood, and apparently prefer chestnut with the bark on. My point is that they have already had their shot at your house and passed on it. They aren't a danger to the house now. Also, I don't think the grubs are mobile enough to move more than a few inches. Once they fall out of the firewood I think they are doomed whether you squash them or not. in my yard the chickens eat them, and I have also seen Carolina Wrens searching the wood splitting area immediately after I leave, apparently picking up grubs.

Hors Douvres...get a cracker!

It looks like a flatheaded wood borer(larvae). They pupate into beetles if allowed to keep munching. I think they might turn into the metallic beetles, but not sure.
The best thing for you is to process the chestnut into firewood and disrupt the bug's life cycle. Cut up the dead trees and burn the wood.
Definitely fodder for the chickens.

Yuk! Found something like that when I was digging in dirt to plant shrubs and trees at my last house. Do not put them in your compost pile . . .but perhaps "can" them, as in: Chestnut grubs roasting in an open fire . . . _g

They do less damage than an insecticide. Insecticides don't know the difference between beneficial and detrimental, and don't easily leave the environment, and pass through the food chain....Best to practice a little tolerance. With a healthy yard, the good predators will take care of almost all the bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.