Anchorsealed wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AndrewU

Burning Hunk
Dec 1, 2019
Sedro-Woolley WA
Cut down a nighbors maple today at their request. Going to mill as much as possible into lumber. Got some Anchorseal coming tomorrow.

My question is, if I either change my mind about a log and cut it for firewood instead, or if I have a scrap I want to burn, can I burn it in a 2020 compliant stove? Or do I need to cut off and discard the end with the sealer?

I think Anchorseal is wax-based. If so, it's probably ok if just on the end grain of an occasional piece.

Reactions: AndrewU
I'd be leery of burning that in a cat stove, but wax only should be OK..

that little bit isn't going to cause a problem. Dirt cheap latex paint works just as well for sealing end grain, and if really concerned just sand it off before use in stove. what kind of Mill? if a chainsaw type do not use regular bar lube or other petroluem product, plays havoc with any finish.

28" bar on the saw. Got a 36" bar for milling. Gonna need it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_112545.jpg
    IMG_20200708_112545.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 130