And the Fish Wins...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Reactions: firebroad
I hate it when that happens.

Reactions: Jags
Ouch! Kinda hard to explain that one to the insurance company, especially when there are cameras rolling. But they sure were lucky to have that camera boat nearby.

Terrible boat handling. If the fish is running hard enough that your in danger of losing him then you turn the boat and run at an angle that is a few degrees from the direction that the fish is going. Backing down on a fish looks good on tv but is really only effective for getting the fish into a more favorable position to be landed or released.

Is that real?, I am the most gullible man on the Internet and I have my doubts.

Its real, and it was because of bad boating. As said above, the captain tried to back down on the fish and got too aggressive. He dug a corner of the boat in and it started to fill up. Unless he could have powered out of the situation, he was screwed.

Its real, and it was because of bad boating. As said above, the captain tried to back down on the fish and got too aggressive. He dug a corner of the boat in and it started to fill up. Unless he could have powered out of the situation, he was screwed.

According to what I saw in today's paper, as the captain was "backing down" - like you said, probably too aggressively - a wave overtook the stern. That action caused him to slip & hit the throttle into full reverse. He's lucky there were boats nearby. I'll be honest, tho, I have no concept of what almost 1/3 of a ton would feel like on a fishing line...Biggest fish I've landed have been in the 8lb range...Bass, walleye & pike....

Yes, I think it said the captain fell. He probably grabbed the throttle trying to stop his fall.

It doesnt take much to capsize a small boat . Since he was backing down so agressively water was pouring in through the scuppers so the deck had no way of clearing itself. Compound that with a wave pouring over the transom and all that water in the cockpit shifting to one side of the boat and you have the perfect scenario for a capsizing and sinking. Even if he was able to throw the boat in foward he still would be in a bad spot because most sportty boats dont have large enough scuppers to clear the deck quickly. His only chance would have been to open the transom door they use for pulling large fish onboard.

Note to self: When deep sea fishing, check to be sure that:
a) all safety gear is up to date
b) there is non-skid in the cockpit and flybridge, no slippery varnished or painted flooring
c) the captain stays sober

PS: You can see the captain sliding out of the flybridge in all pics. His leg and trunks are all that's visible. Looks like he has already fallen.

The full sequence is on Facebook. Here's the capt. holding on for dear life to avoid heading into the drink.
whoops.jpg

I am surprised that those types of boats don't have enough foam in them to float, even if filled with water. My fishing boat will not sink. Foam filled nose and both back corners.

Note to self: When deep sea fishing, check to be sure that:
a) all safety gear is up to date
b) there is non-skid in the cockpit and flybridge, no slippery varnished or painted flooring
c) the captain stays sober

PS: You can see the captain sliding out of the flybridge in all pics. His leg and trunks are all that's visible. Looks like he has already fallen.
All great suggestions, I noticed in the pictures that the boat is a walk around design with easy access to the bow. If I was captain I definitely would have had the angler fight the fish from up there. This would have made it much easier to chase the fish and would have made it easier for the angler. Plus,the less time thats spent fighting the fish equals a higher survival rate for the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.