Angle of rods when cleaning insert from the bottom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
I’m going to try cleaning the liner on my insert with the soot eater for the second time. When I did it the first time the rods got a little banged and scratched up entering the collar since that was the area that it pivoted to create the 90 degree turn upwards. I can’t keep the drill inside the insert pointing up without creating gaps in the cleaned area. It would be something like 1 foot cleaned then 2 feet uncleaned.

I was thinking of building a little rig with some left over 1.5 inch pvc I have left over from the pool to soften the angle and get it to straight up by the time it enters the liner. Basically two 45 bends and a piece of some flexible pvc enter the collar to cushion things.

What do other people do to keep the rods at a good angle or am I over thinking things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We use a peice of flexible electrical conduit to run our rods through.

Thanks. Seems I’m on the right track. I’ll see what kind of over engineered contraption I can rig up for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I isually only use it if i am going through a tee. Inserts are usually fine. I also use it then because i can plug around it to contol dust