Anniversary Gift

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumberjacks Wife

Mar 24, 2010
Easter U.P., MI
Our 5th wedding anniversary is coming up this Sept. I was informed #5 gift is wood. My DH mentioned he'd like something that would hold logs still while he trimmed ends off. Every time he started slicing, the logs would roll on him (our first year of burning resulted in some logs being cut too long - we're learning). Depending on how much needs cut off, determines how safe it is for me to hold the log still for him. Since he blogs on this sight, I mentioned this week about posting a note to see what ideas are floating out there (finances are a factor). So if any of yas have an idea or suggestion, please let me know (pics would help, too). Thank you from a grateful wife.

We are basically cheap so most of us will build a sawbuck to hold the wood for cutting. They do make various metal folding sawbucks but I don't like running my chain anywhere near metal.

How are your carpentry skills? Maybe you could build him a sawbuck.

OH, OH, OH! I know... buy him a hydraulic log splitter. You can use it to clamp the log in sideways for trimming. Works a treat and sure to put a smile on his face. Might blow the budget though.

The optional conveyor will make a nice pile and nobody really covers their wood do they?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
http://www.quick-attach.com/attachments_catalog/?view=versa_grab&p=1

Guaranteed he will NEVER screw around on you after this gift!! :cheese:

I would say for once your right! lol

UperWife said:
Depending on how much needs cut off, determines how safe it is for me to hold the log still for him. Thank you from a grateful wife.

It is NEVER safe for you to hold the log while someone is using a chainsaw . Stop that right now !
Look at the sawbucks and buy one or have someone you know that's handy with tools build one just make sure the lenght is correct for the size length you need.
My FIL made one and copied my nephews who made it for 24" length for his fireplace needless to say it is useless for my 20" cuts .

I know everyone's been having fun, and my first thought was "Monkey, she needs a monkey. A young one would suffice, as it could be trained to stabilize the wood, mabey work a splitter, and definitly stack the splits. PLUS they only eat green stuff,with a few red things on occasion. Supermarket throwaways would suffice." And so on and so forth.- Now my honest thoughts-mabey.. look at some of the rubber/ plastic/ steel chock-blocks available. The wedge shaped things that help hold a vehicle in place on a slope. Designed to be placed on the down-hill side of a tire, to help it keep from rolling. 2 pair, placed on either side of the log, should keep it from moving. Plus they're affordable. Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.