Annual Holiday Ripoff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Selling over priced wood at big box stores...a holiday tradition. Only $4,264.40 per cord!

1000000725.jpg
1000000724.jpg

Imported from Latvia! Says so right on the bag.

That is bizarre, all the wood we have in the US, plus all the problems we have with imported bugs like Emerald Ash Borer. Latvia is far, far away, a Baltic State, 1,000 miles farther away than England. Bizarre. I guess chain saw guys work real cheap in Latvia.

It does say kiln dried so that should take care of the bugs if done properly. The cost of shipping it here probably has something to do with the price though. Then $0.25 for the lumberjacks.

Imported from Latvia! Says so right on the bag.

That is bizarre, all the wood we have in the US, plus all the problems we have with imported bugs like Emerald Ash Borer. Latvia is far, far away, a Baltic State, 1,000 miles farther away than England. Bizarre. I guess chain saw guys work real cheap in Latvia.
I was totally joking but now feel stupid! Our consumerism is creating huge problems. Think of the carbon is costs to move white logs in bag halfway around the world. And they won’t be burnt. Just thrown out at the end of the holiday season.

Whats more insane is that they wouldn't be selling it if people weren't buying it. If I knew anyone buying it I'd tell them to get their head checked. I find it crazy when I see a bundle of 6 logs selling for $7 outside gas stations too. I'd gladly sell 10 pieces for that price.

We have a guy down the road who sells maple from his property for $20 a bundle. Probably 10 regular sized splits. Wild but people actually pay it. I could put some out and probably sell it but I don't want to be that guy. The BTUs are valuable enough to me.

Not a ripoff, you get what is advertised and it's obviously at a price people are willing to pay, capitalism at it's best. Obviously not overpriced as it's selling.
Every grocery store and convenience store has the wrapped wood with a few splits in it for sale. For the people with a fireplace or stove that gets lit the few ttimes they entertain it's the perfect package at an affordable price.

I strongly disagree about a fair price. Capitalism? Sure. However if you're making a casual fire you can buy the pack of mixed hardwood right next to it for half the price that will do the exact same thing. Why buy a Columbia coat when you can buy a Canada Goose! Same thing!

Edit - also the people who are lighting a few fires a year could get that wood for free with very little effort locally. Nobody wants to do that though. So let's pay to import it on a giant gas guzzling ship instead! The American way.

Convenience stores sell single cold soda for $2.50 right next to a 6 pack for $3.00, I don't drink soda so it doesn't matter to me.
You buy a Columbia coat so you don't have to buy the goose and a sewing machine neither of which you'll have a use for once you make your coat.

Canada Goose is just a luxury brand of coat. Both will keep you equally warm but one costs 10x the price.

Arguing a few logs imported from Europe for $20 is a good price seems asinine to me but we can agree to disagree.

I'm not buying but I understand the game. You're trying to apply logic to an illogical society that wants what they want now if it makes them happy for a second and they will not be denied as long as they have money or credit. I'm not saying it's a good price or a good idea to me and obviously not to you.

It's a bad idea for them too they just don't know it and/or don't care 😉. A voluntary ripoff is still a ripoff in my book.

It's a shame we allow it to happen and even look up it it as a society. But that's a different argument.

Anyways. Next time I'll have to catch someone actually buying one and putting it in the trunk of their BMW.

I doubt anyone is burning that stuff. These are Birch logs. I couldn’t tell you the amount times I’ve been to someone’s house and see birch logs stacked neatly in their fireplace. They buy those expensive bundles of birch wood for athletics, not heat.

Had my buddy cut me 7 nice Paper Birch rounds that are decorative around my hearth in the off season. Seeing this prices maybe I should l sell them 😂

I have actually picked up some of these birch logs that are left out for the trash collector. They are cute if you want to have a romantic evening in front of a fire but after 30 seconds they look largely like any other piece of burning wood.

I have actually picked up some of these birch logs that are left out for the trash collector. They are cute if you want to have a romantic evening in front of a fire but after 30 seconds they look largely like any other piece of burning wood.
Next time just repack and sell for $0.75 on the dollar and buy a bottle of wine instead!