Another backyard scrounge almost costly.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Back in August we had a major but very localized storm. Of the many downed trees, one was an oak leaner hung up about 20' up on a sassafras. Couple days ago the remains of Patricia knocked it down into my yard still on the sass but at a height that I could cut it.

Now I freely admit I'm no chainsaw expert but I've read and learned from the more experienced folks here and watched the BC feller series. This has given me a healthy respect (fear :)) of what can happen.

After cutting everything hanging freely, I started cutting the section against the standing sass. My first cut was a top cut made from the uphill side with the sass between me and the leaner. I cut about 1/4 way through watching carefully for any binding. Satisfied with the top cut I started in from the bottom.

As my bottom cut approached the top cut it started to close as the tree settled which I expected so I went after it. All of a sudden there was movement and being a novice it didn't register and next thing I know the bar is stuck. Now I couldn't figure out how it could be binding both top and bottom but stuck it was.

There was just a little holding wood so I grabbed a bow saw and started to cut with my right hand and holding the saw (off with brake on) in my left. Still with the sass between me and the leaner. Suddenly and without warning the tree broke free and shot uphill (towards me) about 4'. If I was not protected by the sass it would have thrown me 20'.

Turns out the binding was coming from the backside of the cut and looking back if the saw had not bound the tree would have caught the handle of the running saw as it went by and who knows what could've happened. In any case it nipped my knuckles but no damage and I got another 1/4 cord or so added to my to be split pile.

To guys that do this all the time this is probably a mundane story but for the rest of us be careful. In addition with the benefit of hindsight I should have seen this coming as it was "readable". Wood cutting can be exciting.

Cut leaner 1.JPG
Cut leaner 2.JPG
Cut leaner 3.JPG
Rounds  2015 a.jpg
Rounds 2015 b.JPG
Rounds 2015 c.JPG

Sometimes, no matter how much you study it and plan for everything, the tree will have other plans. It's why we wear PPE, keep the saw in working order and take the time to clear a quick escape, if needed.
Couple years ago, we had an ice storm that laid hundreds of white birch across the roads. I had already cut 30-40 of them, all of them loaded. I was cutting through a stand of 6 or 7 trees and came to one about 10" and loaded hard, like the others I'd cut that day. I no more than touched the tree with the chain to make my first cut and it exploded. Split the tree 15' right up the center with a loud CRACK! Sometimes, you just go with what the tree wants, I guess.

Sometimes, no matter how much you study it and plan for everything,
I probably should have studied this one more but I was able to bounce it a little and felt no tension so thought only pressure was gravity. Now that I know I'm still not sure how it could be cut safely. Pressure was coming from down force but also spring loaded laterally.

If I knew which way it wanted to go I could have cut from the downhill side but the saw would still bind in the cut. Cutting the uphill side of the tree from a down hill position would have allowed the cut to open up but might rip the saw out of your hands or drag you with it when it went.

Nice scrounge but:

Keep some felling wedges with you to insert into the kerf as a precautionary measure. OR do a "plunged vertical snap cut" That way you can make your cut and before you release the tree you can also prepare for a hasty exit.

It is good there were no injuries to either you or the equipment, so that is always a plus. The adrenaline rush had to be outstanding! !!!

Glad you are ok...

Good move keeping the sass between you and it. I have one like that I have been circling for two years. 10 years ago I would have jumped it right off. Not ready to die for firewood anymore.

Getting stuck in an undercut isn't unusual with a leaner. Not many things are unusual with a leaner. Well, except for it not doing something you didn't expect. Ask my power company. ;em

Good move keeping the sass between you and it. I have one like that I have been circling for two years. 10 years ago I would have jumped it right off. Not ready to die for firewood anymore.
Probably the only smart thing I did. Looking back at it I really did not (could not) assess the tree fully since there's a ton of brush etc covering as you can see in the pic and that's after me brushing out for bucking. Should have cut it back to the sass and left it.

I also have another possible problem tree. It's a small pignut hickory that needs to come down but it's got some lean and reaching branches up top. I'm worried it could barber chair. Maybe take some pics and post but I've been looking at it for months deciding if I should drop it. I would want to use one of the cutting techniques meant to minimize vertical splitting but still not convinced I should do it.

Not ready to die for firewood anymore.
I remind myself and others around me of the same thing. I have never seen a tree worth getting injured or killed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.