Another 'Bad TC Firepot' Thread - With a twist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PeenyBunslinger

Dec 24, 2021
PORTLAND, OR
I am having the exact same issue as this thread.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/bad-tc-firepot-quadrafire-mt-vernon-ae-insert.185441/

I have tried two brand new aftermarket tc's from stovepartsforless.com because the OEM was out of stock. Tried the reverse polarity trick on both of them and nothing. The stranger thing is that when I first get them I plug them into the board and fire it up and it works perfectly. So I unplug the stove and fully install the tc and then it never works again.. even with the reverse pin trick. Board tests fine with jumpers.

Note: OEM back in stock so I ordered one praying that it works where the aftermarkets have failed, it's getting very cold here..

Thanks!

Sounds like something is shorting out or a loose connector somewhere once you get it buttoned up

Sounds like something is shorting out or a loose connector somewhere once you get it buttoned up
Are you able to elaborate? What part of the cable is not supposed to touch what? the sensor itself touches the firepot and the cable touches metal on the way out of the under part of the stove.

Thanks

Are you able to elaborate? What part of the cable is not supposed to touch what? the sensor itself touches the firepot and the cable touches metal on the way out of the under part of the stove.

Thanks
There could be a nick in the actual wire and its grounding to the metal frame