Another chimney install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasass

Mar 3, 2013
South Jersey
The new addition is framed and I'm getting ready to install the chimney tomorrow. Going over all the parts and noticed an insulation shield came with my cathedral ceiling support box. Is it necessary to use the shield inside the support box?

Also, I bought some universal shielding insulation. If I use the insulation shield, where should the universal shielding insulation go? Between the support box and inso shield or between the inso shield and the class A?....or between both?

Here's a couple pics: insoshield.JPGinsoshield2.JPG
And a before pic:chimneybefore.JPG

A lot of the parts available for Super-vent pipe is geared more for Canada codes. The shield that you have is a rafter radiation shield. It's intended to slip over the pipe, inside of the ceiling box. it's a requirement for some Canada installs. The Insulation, or "JUSI", is intended to go inside of the ceiling box, around the pipe to insulate the ceiling box. This prevents condensation from developing in the ceiling box in extreme cold, and offers some protection from radiant heat. Both are options and are not a requirement in the US.
If you have blown in Insulation, an attic insulation shield would be a must to prevent fiberglass insulation from making contact with the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.