another cracked quad manifold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepin in maine

Dec 3, 2007
southern maine
so i finally got the 4300 steptop up to the main floor and cleaned it up getting it ready to install(thanks for everyones help with the attic shield issue).while replacing a few fire brick i spotted the crack.since i didn't buy this new will quad still assist with fixing this?is it unsafe to burn until its fixed?

i still need to install my non combustible wall protection,add trim to the hearth pad,and get my inspection before i burn,but heres a quick peak at my set up.

Attachments

• ATT00039.jpg
    ATT00039.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 351
  • ATT00049.jpg
    ATT00049.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 339
Bummer, this is not good news for Quad 4300 owners. I think you are ok to burn, it shouldn't be unsafe. But contact your dealer immediately. I don't know what their policy is going to be for owners of stoves with this failure that are not original owners, but there is a repair kit made and even if this is not under warranty you should install it or have it installed.

jeepin in maine said:
yeah i'm pretty bummed,i've been looking forward to using this stove for 2 years now.just curious.....is there any reason i can't grind that crack out and weld it?

that's what I would do, however depending on what material that is ( cast or plate steel) could be kinda challanging, can that part come out of the stove?

unfortunately i don't think the manifold is removable.on a good note it looks like regular plate steel box tubing.
i'm gonna call my local quad dealer and see what they say,but unless i'm missing something i think the mig will be the way to go on fixing it.

I just hit my dealer with a warranty claim on the cracked baffle, which they had to order. That would have been about $60 out of pocket if it wasn't in warranty. I do have the same crack, but it's right by the vertical piece where the horizontal piece is welded to it. I can just barely get my fingernail in it, so I don't think it will affect operation much. The repair solution I saw on here earlier looked kind of cheezy. I think I'll mention it when I pick up the baffle. "Oh, by the way..."!

The dealer had another useful tidbit on the firebrick; apparently, the two bricks in the back that have the holes in them are about $60 for the pair. He mentioned that some people were taking an ordinary $3 brick and drilling a hole in it. Even if you wreck a few, you will still come out ahead.

Chris

I am the owner of the cheezy- repaired 4300, we should have hired a welder to make the repair.A plate cannot conform to the warped area of the crack,thus creating a space somewhere.The kit only has a gasket to go over the brick plates.Look close at my repair posted and make your decision.They drill and tap holes to hold the plate on,loading will loosen these bolts over time besides heating and cooling of the steel.The stove still burns ok, but the 55 gallon drum with a pipe sticking out burns too.

Well, it will still burn better than a 55 gal drum so...

I hope you aren't taking my "cheezy" comment personally, but I don't think I'm going to let them touch the stove unless it gets much worse. Can you tell what the plate is made of? I suspect plain steel would eventually burn up. I think I'll let it go this year and see what develops. Hopefully, the crack won't get any bigger and I'll just weld it up then. It's a disappointment in what has otherwise been a great stove.

Looks good, Jeepin! Don't let this get you down. I checked the Quad website and reread the disclaimers. Unfortunately, the warranty only transfers for the first two years and only if the stove stays in the same location. ie: sale of the home. Details here:

http://www.quadrafire.com/Customer_Care/hhtwarranty.pdf

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.