another dumb ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're talking about the metal cover that sits in the middle of the floor of the stove, yes, that needs to be there when you're burning the stove.

-SF

yes it is supposed to stay in while burning. i have the englander 30-nc and it has the same metal cap you're referring to. it seems like a pain to have to take it out scoop it down then cap it back off. you may as well just scoop right into your ash container.

if you leave it open while burning, it would add another air intake for combustion air. this way you would get an excess amount of air and could lead to overfiring more easily. but then again, and i could be wrong and essentially telling you to burn down your house :red: , but if you leave it open and damper the air control down to compensate for the extra hole, it might work. but i really hope someone corrects me before you try it out.

If you burn with that plug removed, I will venture a guess that you'll have way too much air going into your stove, making it hard to control.

-SF

if you find it bothersome to try to stuff the ash down that little hole, plug the whole & cover with a firebrick, forget it's there. You may be much happier! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.