Another flue liner question!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiletravis09

Jan 21, 2015
woodstock ohio
OK so here's the deal. I have a Nashua wood stove that has an 8in flue collar. We just bought this house and there is a chimney that has a clay tile liner with an inside measurement of 7.25x7.25. Would I be OK running this stove in this chimney? If not, my new neighbor has a Nashua stove also that he said he would trade me which has a 6in flue collar. I'm a fan of these Nashua stoves. They are heat monsters! I'm also impressed that for their age, they are relatively efficient. Anyhow please let me know what you think.

6d545881106ba61342322da2f4a9dbf6.jpg

Might be ok though it would be safer with a 6" liner in the chimney. Is that a 6" or a 7" thimble in the wall? Will you be extending the hearth 16" in front of the stove door?

The whole hearth pad is going to be replaced and brought up to code for insurance. This is where it sat when we bought it. If you look closely you can see black marks on the floor from the previous owner. It's a miracle that this house hasn't burnt down! Anyway that's where i have another problem. The thimble has an OD of 7.25 and an ID of 6.25. So if I was to use an 8in stove pipe how would I connect it safely? And if I go with a 6in pipe I think I can slip a 6in thimble into the clay pipe that's already there. I just don't know what I should do.

You might want to check with the insurance co to see what they want. It sounds like the setup is for a 6" stovepipe. The thimble would need to be replaced to take it up to 7". Not worth it in my book. Maybe worth considering the friend's Nashua. But first check with the insurance company to see if they will accept the old stove or not.

No, that would be unlikely unless the chimney is very tall. What is its height above the stovetop?

Should be ok with a key damper in the connector pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.