Another fusion process

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Off the wires today, this one with a resurrection of the stellarator concept. Has anyone been following this? It look like they have made good progress. Their confidence seems high with the pilot tied to the grid.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Off the wires today, this one with a resurrection of the stellarator concept. Has anyone been following this? It look like they have made good progress. Their confidence seems high with the pilot tied to the grid.
My gut feeling is "vaporware" but, I know nothing about this Stellarator technology.

I think the closing of a funding round was used as an opportunity for a press release.
Stellarators are better able to confine the plasma, but are harder (...) to make work, as compared to a tokamak.

I find it surprising how many companies there are "selling" stuff like this; in my view this is still very much in the realm of (govt funded) research.

But anything that gets us ahead on this perpetual "30 years from now" is a good thing...

Personally, I won't invest in companies claiming fusion. I'm not that much of a risk taker, and in my view they are too far from reality. Of course, there is a tiny chance it'll work soon, and in that case, you can retire had you invested now. But that risk is too large for my taste.

ten7.jpg

Reactions: woodgeek