Another garn question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2012
northern michigan
As some of you know I purchased a garn 1500 to heat my home for next year. I just got the opportunity to purchase a 500 gallon propane tank for $50. That got me wondering if anyone has added storage to a garn or not. Not saying I'm going to need more storage but I'm not going to pass up the tank for $50. I tried to search but couldn't come up with anything with the garns. Thanks guys!

Deep Portage has a 4000 gallon storage tank which is directly supplied by a Wood Gun E500. The tank then is both a supply and a load on a primary loop, to which a Garn WHS 3200 also is plumbed. If the tank temp is less than the Garn temp, then the Garn "sees" the tank as a load, but if the tank is at a higher temp than the Garn, then the tank supplies the primary loop. In effect, the Garn can charge the tank, which then is a storage supply, along with the Garn tank storage.

So the answer is yes, a tank can be added to supplement the internal Garn storage.

An extra 500gal might be overkill for someone with a 1500gal Garn but it surely could be done like the project Jim did. For $50 I wouldn't pass it up either.

I had 550 gal of external storage tied into the supply from the garn to my house piping, the extra storage was helpful but required a little different strategy. With the garn circ off with no zone calling, the external storage cooled off faster than the garn, so when the circs energized there was about 30 minutes of cooler supply water before the garn storage displaced the external storage. You can reduce the flywheel effect entirely by running thr garn circ 24/7, not the most efficient but some run this way. Or place the storage between the house piping and the garn return and have the garn circ run through the firing cycle to charge both. These methods work but at a system efficiency reduction. The reality is that the garn firebox will not hold enough wood to charge the extra storage, so you would have to be around to reload anyway, my conclusion was that the ineffiency of overloading the firebox and storage loss didn't outweigh the slight inconvenience of another firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.