Another Great Deal on Craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverrude

Apr 17, 2008
NJ
:lol:

Standing dead Trees .. (Central NJ )

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-12-26, 9:21AM EST

Pick from 3 Standing Dead trees, about to topple over onto my house with the next wind... Located in my cheap neighbors yard who doesnt care if it falls on her house or mine ... take it away, Ill let you borrow the chain saw to chop it .. great for firewood !

I'd love to see someone go over there and drop it on his house for him. LOL!

Wet1 said:
I'd love to see someone go over there and drop it on his house for him. LOL!
lol and with hes chainsaw!

In a round about way he does have a point. If your house or car is crushed by a tree from your neighbor's yard, it's still your insurance and deductible. What I would do is send this neighbor a certified letter or 5 asking if he could have the trees cut down. Maybe even have a tree service guy come by and look from your yard at it to see what his professional opinion is. Then get it all documented and when it falls... sue him for your deductible and whatever 'suffering' you've had. I think it's a stupid rule the act of God thing where someone's property can destroy yours and you still have to pay. My neighbor's car was only a year old and a mammoth pine tree fell across the road and crushed his car and dented his truck pretty good too. Neighbors were not negligent, but it's not like he could go over there and chop down their trees. It should be... if your property destroys someone elses... then whoever owns the destructive force should pay.

Attachments

• crushed accord.JPG
    crushed accord.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 447
Thats funny. I saw that on CL also. I like the adds that say to just take what ever is outside. You don't have to knock or call me. I wonder how many people actually do it?

you can cut the limbs that come onto your side of the property line. The property line goes into the earth for infinity and into the sky for infinity. If it kills the tree you might get some flack over it but if they are dead like you say then....

GKG-MO said:
you can cut the limbs that come onto your side of the property line. The property line goes into the earth for infinity and into the sky for infinity. If it kills the tree you might get some flack over it but if they are dead like you say then....

I live in your average semi-rural suburb in a small town of 4,000 people. I have a neighbor who lives behind me who I've never seen. Not once. I've seen lights on in the house late at night, the lawn is mowed, it's relatively well kept, etc...but I've never seen a soul outside. During the first ice storm of the season a crab apple tree in his backyard dropped a huge limb into my yard and dragged another one down with it that was hanging by a thread. I didn't have time to deal with it (it was during the week) so I figured I'd get a knock on the door or note saying "let's talk about this." No such note or knock ever came so I fired up the saw and went to work-should smell nice! Now if only the rest of the tree would fall...

Actually documented dead trees and doing nothing about a preventable hazard can be construed as negligence.

I've cut dead branches from a large oak that <<could>> have fallen onto my neighbor's property when he asked.
Mostly because he's a nice guy, but is a bit paranoid about things like that.
Better to cut them down in a controlled situation than fixing a fence or broken window.

Status
Not open for further replies.