Another "How much is too much creasote" thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Swept my chimney yesterday. I got 6 cups of powder (first time I've actually measured it). I see all these posts of 24/7 burning for 6 months and getting a thimble full, so I'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned about. I have a 25 ft insulated liner. I burn HOT, and a mix of dry wood and liberty bricks. This is after 1-1.5 cords last season. Don't think the wood is the problem, don't think my burning habits are the problem. Only thing is that with the 602, I have frequent cold starts. Thinking this is probably more likely to lead to build up than a constantly hot stove?

Could be the frequent restarts. Did the chimney liner ever get properly insulated?

I restart my fire every afternoon. I load is and burn hot then turn it down for the night/morning. I clean every 2 years, and I just did it. Got about 2 cups worth of stuff on a 20' chimney and 8' of dbl wall stove pipe.

Well, 7 cups this year. I guess I'm consistent. How much creosote is a fire hazard? Should I be doing a mid-season sweep?

IMG_20171109_142540.jpg

No 7 cups is absolutly fine. Nothing to worry about

Reactions: Squisher
Sounds fine to me. I get about that.

it's probably a lot better to have 7 cups of what you have there than 1/2 cup of the runny black tar stuff

Reactions: kennyp2339