Another Large Insert Thread - Current Model Dare IV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thus assume these stoves all have the same blower design where the air is looped around the firebox?
Most have blowers available yes. But even without the blower you will have natural convection

Visually, VC stoves beautiful and they have nice quality castings but they are complex stoves and not the best for this location. A convective stove with a blower will provide the best heating. The Alderlea T6 has a sibling, the Summit, with the same firebox but in a porcelain steel jacket that is available in red.
https://www.pacificenergy.net/product/summit-classic-le/

We plan to paint the inside of the fireplace black and keep it open.
Well this is helpful in that it limits the options. :) My wife would prefer the red enamel of the VC stove but this whole convective design sounds like the right path.
Personally I like a little contrast to make the stove the focal point. Not black on black. The T5 comes in enamel colors if you didn’t mind the smaller size. BK Ashford has a brown enamel. Jøtul doesn’t even have colorful enamel anymore.

Personally I like a little contrast to make the stove the focal point. Not black on black. The T5 comes in enamel colors if you didn’t mind the smaller size. BK Ashford has a brown enamel. Jøtul doesn’t even have colorful enamel anymore.
Yes our hope was the contrast, as the original plan was the Bordeaux VC stove. If we ended up with a black stove, we might do something different.

Reactions: EbS-P
Yes our hope was the contrast, as the original plan was the Bordeaux VC stove. If we ended up with a black stove, we might do something different.
They make a product called “paint a peel” to remove soot stains from masonry. Could always go the natural look.

I think the Alderlea T6 is the way we'd like to go. We were looking into the tax credits and I'm a bit confused on qualification. The Pacific site says that it is EPA 2020 compliant, but the standard appears to be 75% and the T6 rates as 74%. I also went to the EPA certified database and the T6 is there, but not sure if that means it qualifies.

I think the Alderlea T6 is the way we'd like to go. We were looking into the tax credits and I'm a bit confused on qualification. The Pacific site says that it is EPA 2020 compliant, but the standard appears to be 75% and the T6 rates as 74%. I also went to the EPA certified database and the T6 is there, but not sure if that means it qualifies.
EPA 2020 compliance and the tax credit compliance are two independent and unrelated items. The arbitrary 75% HHV cutoff means that all stoves below that don't qualify in spite of being very clean burning stoves.

I know some on here don’t like them for various reasons but I have owned one and love them. Hearthstone Mansfield is stunning IMHO, will heat a large home and sometimes would heat us out of the main part of our previous home. Burns long, overnight is no issues and stays warm to the touch even into the next morning. Simple stove to operate.
There is also their Green Mountain 80 which has soapstone inside and cast iron outside I believe but don’t quote me on that. We are planning either the Mansfield or maybe one a bit smaller but want a side loader, not a big fan of front loading due more ash seems to always fall out.

Keep in mind everyone has their brand of stove, kind of like Ford vs Chevy. Plus everyone’s needs and limitations are different so keep that in mind.

1671797793616.png