Another load from the state cutting area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Got another load. A 4 tree load, last load was so heavy my brakes barely slowed me down.
his load about right, the ATV & about 1/2 a cord & I notice I have a good load but allot more controllable.
Split & stacked today.

100_7623.JPG 100_7625.JPG

100_7627.JPG

Your view is absolutely gorgeous! :cool: That birch pic with the mountain background, and clouds, is fantastic! Nice day in the woods for you. :)

How far do you drive to your wood cutting area?

Thanks. Hoping for some sunny days soon.
You have some awesome Mts too.

30 mile round trip.
1.5 miles in on the trail into the cutting area.

Thats a very nice view you have. If only the cutting were a little closer. It makes me greatfull I can practicly cut in my back yard.

WOW . That"s an incredible view of the wood pile. Oh yeah and the mountain range.
Is that a carpet under the pile?

showoff......:p Great view, BD. And a nice score of birch too!

Have you figured out what the "free" wood ends up costing? I'm just curious.

I did the same as you for the last couple years, but I started to realize that the "cheap" wood wasn't so cheap after I factored in fuel, wear and tear on me and the equipment, and my time. I for sure burned up whole weekends for a cord of semi decent wood.

So far have sold 5 cords of wood... stuff I had here at the house, so the tree length I bought is almost paid for, though I did end up buying a splitter with that money :cool:

I don't mind being out in the woods and all, but at the same time I've got tons of other stuff to do as well and I certainly don't want to burn up a whole short summer messing with firewood!

Might want to consider looking at your brakes if just that load you couldn't slow down. I have hauled 15-20,000lbs with no trailer brakes and sure it took planned gear changing and applying the brakes to stop, it wasn't all that bad. I wouldn't do it all the time for sure, just had some wiring issues and didn't have time or the parts to fix it that day.

Come visit Alaska in the summer, it's much better than in the pictures.
I do enjoy the view & watching it change thru the seasons.

I found I like using old carpet for the splitting stacking area, cleaner wood, no weeds. (vacuuming an issue though) :)

A closer cutting area would be nice, but I've traveled farther for a load of wood. Selecting "good wood" sure is nice.

$10/cord to the state. but it's only for personal use, can't sell it.
Give or take, $40 - $50/cord CSS. (Cheap fun hobby that pays me back) :)

Between golf, garden, green house, fishing, yard work,life & other stuff, when I fall into some time, I look forward to it & have fun going out cutting fire wood.
Getting/being ahead with the wood means I can go cut when I want to.

This fall after hunting season is over, I'll have more time to get out there more often. Less bugs too.
May even moose hunt there, have seen a few there, could cut it up into pieces with the chain saw & load it on the ATV (be an easy moose). :)
Signs of black bear too.

PS: Scotty, ("Showoff"? )
Yea, I grew up in south west PA area, I thought there were Mts there, I was wrong,
yuns got hills. LOL :)

That view is amazing.One more place I'll visit someday.

Started hacking away at my logs today. Took me about 5 hours to cut, split, haul to the house and stack 1.5 cords. Dunno if that's good or bad, but either way I'm pretty sore. Burned though 5 tanks of gas in the saw and almost a tank in the splitter.

Started hacking away at my logs today. Took me about 5 hours to cut, split, haul to the house and stack 1.5 cords. Dunno if that's good or bad, but either way I'm pretty sore. Burned though 5 tanks of gas in the saw and almost a tank in the splitter.

Give me a call when your there.
Today moving some stacks, some to the shed, mowed , Mosquito magnet set up & running, weed whacking, grand kids.
Trying to organize the wood down property line. Gonna need to get more pallets soon.

Doing it yourself seems tedious, if you hook up with Dave it will go so much quicker and not seem as bad.

Give me a call when your there.
Today moving some stacks, some to the shed, mowed , Mosquito magnet set up & running, weed whacking, grand kids.
Trying to organize the wood down property line. Gonna need to get more pallets soon.
I have a shitload you can have. I made new racks and don't need pallets anymore.

That view is awesome! What a great way to spend the day - working on the woodpile and seeing those mountains!

(Cheap fun hobby that pays me back) :)

Between golf, garden, green house, fishing, yard work,life & other stuff, when I fall into some time, I look forward to it & have fun going out cutting fire wood.
Getting/being ahead with the wood means I can go cut when I want to.
Exactly my point of view. I'm a striped collar (blue & white) worker so I don't need the exercise of CSS'ing my own wood. But there's something about that kind of work that puts a smile on my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.