Another newbie question about a basement chimney install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint Harmon

Nov 1, 2012
I have a nc30 that I want to install in my basement. My only option is to go through my poured concrete wall. My question is do I need to use a wall thimble or just use a piece of class A pipe to go through the concrete? I'm going to be buying a Supervent through the wall kit so I'll have a thimble. Didn't know if it was necessary to core drill a bigger hole for the thimble due to being a non combustible. I think 8" is the biggest core bit the rental place has, I need a 10" for the thimble don't I? Thanks for any help!

I can't speak for what you technically are supposed to do, but mine has no thimble (a late 70's install).
What you can do though is to chip it out rather than core drill, and then fill in the space between the concrete and thimble (or pipe) with mortar or some such.
Good luck!

I used a Thimble for my Basement install on my 30.

It does provide for a better look and also helps to keep the Class A at the Proper distance into the room.

Lookin forward to pics

I didn't use a thimble for my basement install - and as long as it is going through a non-combustible material - the code allows for that from what I have read.

Status
Not open for further replies.