Another poor wood drying year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TCaldwell

Minister of Fire
Well last year was terrible for wood drying in New England, so far this year doesn’t look promising either! I’m about ready to put a dehumidifier in my boiler barn/ wood shed.

super wet here in WV as well... think ill go electric heat and heck with firewood...since im in better position to pay a 400 dollar power bill now..

Yes, this isn't good for wood.

I cut a big 3-stem maple windfall mostly up back in the woods late last fall. Didn't get the top fully cut up, or any of it split, before winter set in. Been trying to get back there to finish that up before it rots. Was going to run back last evening - but the rain hit yet again. Supposed to get 2-3" of the stuff today.

I got back to my windfall on Saturday with my splitter. Took me a while to find it again, the greenery was like a jungle back there - I guess all this water is good for growing stuff with leaves on it.

The rounds I left just laying there when I cut them up were still solid, so far, so that was good. Gotta get back there once or twice more to finish the cutting & splitting.

Maybe some of the hot air from Washington DC could be pumped up this way? Naaa, rather have wet wood.........
Talk about global warming;lol

Reactions: mike van