Another poor wood drying year?

TCaldwell Posted By TCaldwell, Jun 20, 2019 at 4:40 PM

1. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    Well last year was terrible for wood drying in New England, so far this year doesn’t look promising either! I’m about ready to put a dehumidifier in my boiler barn/ wood shed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. E Yoder

E Yoder
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Floyd, VA
    Yes, pretty wet here in VA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. redmanlcs

redmanlcs
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    super wet here in WV as well... think ill go electric heat and heck with firewood...since im in better position to pay a 400 dollar power bill now..

4. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Yes, this isn't good for wood.

I cut a big 3-stem maple windfall mostly up back in the woods late last fall. Didn't get the top fully cut up, or any of it split, before winter set in. Been trying to get back there to finish that up before it rots. Was going to run back last evening - but the rain hit yet again. Supposed to get 2-3" of the stuff today.

5. mike van

mike van
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 24, 2013
    Loc:
    Kent Ct
    Maybe some of the hot air from Washington DC could be pumped up this way? Naaa, rather have wet wood.........

TCaldwell likes this.
  6. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I got back to my windfall on Saturday with my splitter. Took me a while to find it again, the greenery was like a jungle back there - I guess all this water is good for growing stuff with leaves on it.

The rounds I left just laying there when I cut them up were still solid, so far, so that was good. Gotta get back there once or twice more to finish the cutting & splitting.

7. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    Talk about global warming;lol

mike van likes this.