another stove/insert identification request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Danaher

Dec 21, 2017
SMC MD
I am trying to ID a wood burning insert. Got it for $20 and a school fundraiser auction maybe 15 years ago. It has no manufacturer markings on it anywhere, I've looked carefully multiple times. Only markings are two metal tags, one is a warning to avoid creosote fire and overheating, the other is a warning that it might be hot., and to see the nameplate. If it had a nameplate, I wouldn't be asking

Measures about 27" wide, 18" deep, 22" high. Made from plate steel, not cast. (edit - door is cast, rest is plate) Has firebrick inside on the bottom, and on the front between the door and the bottom.

insert1.jpg

insert2.jpg

It has a single door with glass panel, hinged on the left.

Air intake is set with a slider under the door. Air output is a full width rectangular opening along the top.There is a dual squirrel cage blower, a Dayton 4C826. There is no built in blower speed control,the wires to the blower end in a standard three prong plug. it came (to me) with a "POW-R PLUG III" motor speed control, which seems to be for ceiling fan speed control, but works ok with the Dayton blower.

Inside, top rear there is a metal box, which contains a bypass flapper connected to the rod that comes out the top right front of the stove. The opening on the front of this box is 9-3/4" wide by 3-3/4" high. There are two bolts sticking out form the front of it 13" apart, Those bolts must be there for a reason, seems like there is a part missing from the front of that box, perhaps a catalyst, perhaps just some baffle.

insert3.jpg

Haven't used it much, not pretty but it does OK. Always figured I should try to figure out what internal part is missing, finally getting around to doing that, with the goal of using it more

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Is there a catalytic combustor behind that door on the face of the bypass box?

There only things in the bypass box are the bypass door/flap, and a vertical 8-3/4" wide metal plate set back 1-11/2" from the front opening , In the picture above, the bypass is open, the door/flap is vertical and shows up as tan on the sides of the vertical fixed metal plate. My guess is that if the stove did have a catalytic combustor, it would be in some missing housing that hung from the two bolts in front of the bypass box. But that's an uninformed guess