Another Ton of Somersets Scored from Jeff in Iron Ridge, WI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snowmobileaddict

Burning Hunk
Oct 12, 2012
Cedarburg, WI
Jeff Schickert in Iron Ridge has been my go-to for 4 years in a row now for Somersets Pellets.

He's easy to coordinate with and always has stock. Today it looked like there was another 12-15 skids of Somersets and that again for whatever brand of softwood Pellets he gets.

It's a side gig for him, so you have to leave a message, but he hits you back up within 24 hours.

Jeffs place is Wi Pellet Distribution Center.

c3617f2572db11f468b97c736d82a4fd_zpsb66418bd.jpg

I only use pellets to heat our finished basement, so I only go through 1 ton per year. I'm just never disappointed with the Somersets. I'll keep buying them as long as I can get 'em.

Jeffs price was $225 today.

8A30D607-3278-44E9-9EBD-4E0450101036_zpsphyddav7.jpg

D0C410C9-97BF-416B-ABFB-2E9CC055DF38_zpsphwo5fqj.jpg

Last edited:
Piling the bags right on the concrete floor doesn't cause problems with the pellets?

Piling the bags right on the concrete floor doesn't cause problems with the pellets?

Haha!

I stuck that photo in the post to see if somebody would say something about Pellets on concrete....

No-

I stack those there temporarily for about a week. Just a place to set them as I unpack the skid off the trailer. From there, I relay them down into my utility room off our finished basement.

Our garage is dry and all, but I wouldn't park them there long term ever.

Jeff's a good guy. I picked up a few tons from him last fall.

He's the only place to get Somersets around here since Menards stopped buying them several years back. Although (2) weeks back I thought I was hallucinating when I saw loose bags of Somersets by the registers at the Waukesha Menards. I went to the lumber yard and there were (2) skids left of Somersets but they were being loaded onto a trailer as I walked up. The remaining stock was all Marth brown bags, like 14 skids. I've never tried the Marth before. I've got a drop style pellet stove, not a bottom feed (Harman-style). One of these seasons I'll have to try a bag or 2 to see how they burn for me.

Somersets are my go to pellets also. Luckily they are fairly easy to come by around here in KY where they are made. Many places sell them and price them very fair. Others will try to burn you price wise and they usually sit on some come spring.

Every bag of Sets I've ever opened and dumped into the hopper have been very good, consistent, and produce great heat. No complaints here. Well, I have not found anyplace that sells softwood pellets yet so I can not even try them to see what they are all about. I could care less really because the hardwood pellets here are abundant and are more than fine for me.

He's the only place to get Somersets around here since Menards stopped buying them several years back. Although (2) weeks back I thought I was hallucinating when I saw loose bags of Somersets by the registers at the Waukesha Menards. I went to the lumber yard and there were (2) skids left of Somersets but they were being loaded onto a trailer as I walked up. The remaining stock was all Marth brown bags, like 14 skids. I've never tried the Marth before. I've got a drop style pellet stove, not a bottom feed (Harman-style). One of these seasons I'll have to try a bag or 2 to see how they burn for me.

My buddy Jay-Z said he spotted Somersets at that Menards. I used to drive past it every day on my way to work, but now that I've retired it's too far for me for a pellet run. Two other Menards stores are closer.

I've been burning Marths in my Harman since about January, and they've done well for me. They generate more ash than Somersets but fewer ash cakes. And they are cheap at Menards -- I got a couple tons in March for $169 each, counting the store credit rebate. I never paid more than $189/ton for them this season.

Menards has also sold Pennywise pellets, which are rebranded Marth hardwoods. About the only difference between those and brown-bag Marths that I've been able to discern is the bags themselves -- Pennywise had the thinnest, most fragile bags I've ever dealt with. I've accidentally stuck my fingers through them while hauling bags into the basement. Once I was loading them onto a cart from an in-store display and inadvertently tore a bag wide open. Pellets all over the place. I could hear the sweeper grumbling as I waited to check out.

Lowes carried Somersets several years ago and I purchased a ton.
They were a really great pellet.
Unfortunately no one in my area has carried them since.
I even emailed the Somerset folks hoping they would market them again in our area.
No such luck.
Another great pellet is Henry County - unfortunately another one year wonder.

Jed's pellets are all good, and pretty reasonable for what they are.

I was considering trying some type of Jed's, either the hardwood or the softwood. Not the Bear Mountain/Douglas Fir.

However, what's the deal with their pricing? From what I can tell, I need to visit their store in person or wait for someone on this board to update the pricing report like this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/2014-early-buy-green-bay-wi.126436/

because reportedly, they wont quote a price per ton over the phone or via e-mail. Then, on top of the price per ton listed in the link above, I would need to throw in an extra $249 to join their 'club' for the first year and another $42 per year thereafter to stay a member of their "pellet buyers club"?

I'd like to know what the price per ton is for regular guys on the street who aren't card carrying club members. For a fella like me that only burns 1 ton per year, the club makes little sense. For folks that burn 4-8 skids a year, that's a different story.

This year all-in (with trailer rental) and 1 ton of Somersets from Jeff was $250.

I think its the "pellet buyers club" membership or whatever that turns me off. Proven Power in Waukesha is a carrier of EES pellets, and I almost drove there over my lunch break last week to inquire, but I nixed it after Jeff confirmed he has stock and I could come through on Sunday to grab a skid.

On the other hand, this local ad in Dousman was also tempting: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mat/6025083802.html

Last edited:
Lowes carried Somersets several years ago and I purchased a ton.
They were a really great pellet.
Unfortunately no one in my area has carried them since.
I even emailed the Somerset folks hoping they would market them again in our area.
No such luck.
Another great pellet is Henry County - unfortunately another one year wonder.

FYI, If you ever see Pro Pellets or Greenways they are very similar to the Sets. I noticed with the Pro's and Greenways that they will have some longer pellets in their mix vs. the Sets but they are good hardwood pellets also. the Pros are made in MI and greenways in south central TN. I'm not sure they would make it over your way though or if anyone sells those two brands.

I've burned 2-3 tons of both the Pro Pellets and Greenways. I've mainly burned the Sets though and have to say they are #1 for me but the others I've mentioned are almost right up there with them. I usually pay right at $200 per ton for all three brands. Surprisingly TSC had Sets all season this year for $199 per ton. My local TSC's usually get junky pellets.

FYI, If you ever see Pro Pellets or Greenways they are very similar to the Sets.
Greenways are very common here. They have been my pellet of choice for several years.
A little ashier but they burn nice and hot.
Usually $200-$210 / ton.

Reactions: bags