Another tree I.D. with photos.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redmanlcs

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2017
West Virginia
Location: Southern West Virginia, USA. You guys did great with the Norway Maple ID. I have another. My firewood cutting buddy caught me with my saw headed to the woods on my ATV, and he asked me where I was going, I told him that I'm still cutting on the Maple just under the top of the hill. He said oh yea. I been cutting on that one myself. He said he was the one that cut the popular out of the road. I have passed this tree up many times as myself thought it was popular as well. Today I stopped and looked at it some more as there are a few big rounds left for the taking. This tree has bark very similar to popular, it has fooled two people I know of, not counting the firewood collectors that travel this road. Here is clues:

This tree is nowhere near straight. Its big at the bottom, branches out into 2 main trunks about 6ft. up, then it gets all crooked with a lot of limbs. Puts me in the mind of boxelder somewhat but its not growing where boxelders like to grow nor is the bark boxelder, just the way the tree grew all crooked. Popular trees grow pretty much straight and tall correct? Not this tree. Splitting the rounds it took more effort than popular usually takes me with the grain kinda sticking together like hickory does. The rounds pop, but usually there will be a knot or something that makes it very difficult to separate unlike the maple.
20210319_215944.jpg20210319_215956.jpg20210319_220007.jpg20210319_220002.jpg

is this maple too?... its leaving more coals than popular...... or is this indeed popular and all the stuff mentioned earlier is just because its wet?....

Pics are useless. We need clear pictures taken in daylight.

Looks like hickory to me.

Hard to split. Sounds and looks like hickory.

The horizontal scars on the bark look like sapsuckers have been feeding on it. Sapsuckers will feed on the same places for years and the scars will extend into the wood. The wood coloring on the end cut, looks like hickory. Here's some I have.

Attachments

• IMG_7416.JPG
    IMG_7416.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 193
def splits like hickory, but I thought hickory was a darker color. This wood smells like spice.. very very faint.. not a strong smell... I thought hickory smelled like horse poo.. or smelled like a barn..... but when i google hickory,,, i see identical looking bark and tree structure except for the shagbark.. lol.. but ya.. i can chalk this up to hickory.. thanks!

def splits like hickory, but I thought hickory was a darker color. This wood smells like spice.. very very faint.. not a strong smell... I thought hickory smelled like horse poo.. or smelled like a barn..... but when i google hickory,,, i see identical looking bark and tree structure except for the shagbark.. lol.. but ya.. i can chalk this up to hickory.. thanks!
The bark looks different to me too, I wonder if it's Pignut hickory.

I'm also guessing pignut hickory.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man