Another way to stack wood end grain verticle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I do not know if there is a name loke Holtz but one theory is that wood stacked in a cone like arangement drys faster
unlike the holz method, the splits or logs are end grains are facing upward allowing gravity to help drain the moisture. It is also claimed the wood dries faster than conventional stacking If I get time today I will try to essemble one to supply a picture

I have the honey do list a mile long. Including replacing two old Alumium Sliders
My special orderm Atrium wood with grills in the glass, has arrived at Home Crapo. Got to pick them up this morning

elkimmeg said:
I do not know if there is a name loke Holtz but one theory is that wood stacked in a cone like arangement drys faster
unlike the holz method, the splits or logs are end grains are facing upward allowing gravity to help drain the moisture. It is also claimed the wood dries faster than conventional stacking If I get time today I will try to essemble one to supply a picture

elk, Interesting, I guess all roads lead to Rome. I've now seen it said that a majority of drying occurs from the end grain (U.S. Forest Products web site), but somewhere else says wood dries faster if split, and my experience agrees. A clear contradiction. I've seen one place (GransFors Axe site) say always place the bark down when stacking as otherwise, it prevents water from evaporating upwards and slows drying. Now it is said that wood dries quicker if water can flow down and out. Then... wood stacks are supposed to dry faster when more surface is exposed to the sun and wind, but the holz hausen method flies in the face of that.

Sheesh. Who are we to believe? This is as bad as selecting a stove. Seems to boil down to just picking the method or stove that tickles your fancy.

My drying method consists of throwing it in a big pile untill i feel like stacking it, it kind goes along with my end of year stove mantinance theroy.

George said:
elkimmeg said:
I have the honey do list a mile long. Including replacing two old Alumium Sliders
My special orderm Atrium wood with grills in the glass, has arrived at Home Crapo. Got to pick them up this morning

Hmm... You're not changing the size of the opening are ya??? You may need a building permit for that. :coolsmirk:
(Sorry, just could not resist turning the tables for a change.)

Direct replacements no structural header work required. If it were, I just might be able to figure it out
Yook 2 hours to pick them up from Home Crapo. Nobody in the store was licenced to operate a folklift. I had to wait
for someone they called in. This is after I had called in 2 hours in advance to notify of my intended pickup. They are
created and nailed and braced to the crate both together 4 could not lift it. I will have to dissessemble them to move them
Imagine the task of roping something six feet wide and sticking up 7' above the pickup truck bed. I did make it safely home the 10 miles.

Mo we are takling splits stacked around a center pole stacked vertical . My stuff is so dry here no need to try this method but for illustration. Just another neat way to do it. I always have done the pallets rectangle stacks exposed to the sun and wind. I processed it two years before use. Top covered from Sept to April the rest of the warmer months no cover, unless I can think of it before a soaking rain

Elk,
Do you have any references or links for this cone stacking method? Maybe I'll put one next to my Holzhaufen.

MountainStoveGuy said:
My drying method consists of throwing it in a big pile untill i feel like stacking it, it kind goes along with my end of year stove mantinance theroy.

Likewise. And if your end of season maintenance is anything like mine, you are invited over for a drink anytime.

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.