another wood ID question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twd000

Feeling the Heat
Aug 28, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
saw this listing on Craigslist

My first thought was sassafras, but we don't have much of that around here

any guesses?

00E0E_97BNiExKaGi_600x450.jpg
00z0z_a2kjF73ZO7j_600x450.jpg

Take a whiff and if it smells like Pinesol it's Sassy. The other top piece as Qvist says looks like Black Locust so you may have both there.

Reactions: tadmaz
BL

Black locust has very dark heartwood and sort of dark sap wood.

Reactions: Lakeside
The logs look straight for sassafras. The trunk usually has several bends in it.

The logs look straight for sassafras. The trunk usually has several bends in it.
I see a lot of straight Sass here, probably since they are growing in the woods and trying to go straight up to the light. I'm trying to figure how to make an elegant stack support system using them, since they are so rot-resistant.

The locust around here is darker that that pictured, also has a yellow tinge. Your wood does not look like locust.
Post a few close up pics of the wood.

ditto on the bark on the top one looking like black locust, the one under looks like sweet gum though. the cut end looks like gum too. locust will usually have yellow heartwood. strong smell too.