another wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
Any idea what this is? Its center core is bright yellow I've never seen anything like it before.

Attachments

• IMG_20130112_154546.jpg
    IMG_20130112_154546.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 194
Heres one of the bark.IMG_20130112_154555.jpg

Maybe Yellow (Tulip) Poplar?

Woody has it, Tulip.

Never heard of tulip I hope it burns good.

Never heard of tulip I hope it burns good.
Plenty here but I've never burned it. Low BTU rating...16M/cord. I have a few dead ones close by. Could make some decent kindling...

Is tulip and poplar the same thing? Ive burned some poplar before its like paper. Ill keep it it should be good to get things going.

Is tulip and poplar the same thing? Ive burned some poplar before its like paper. Ill keep it it should be good to get things going.
Yellow (Tulip) Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera L.) has a range covering most of the US east of the Mississippi. I'm not familiar with the other Poplars (thank God) which aren't in the Magnolia Family and I think are even poorer heat woods than Tulip.

Another poplar ID? Poplar seems to be popular. I think that is yellow poplar, aptly named for the heartwood color. AKA, tulip poplar. Grows mainly east of the Mississippi. All the poplar family woods (poplar, cottonwood and aspen) have low heat, smell funky (cat pee is as close as I can describe it) when they are burned, and can be a PITA to cut and split, especially when they are dry. They usually have a characteristic green or grey heartwood. They are used in furniture making as a secondary wood, and they are good in that they do not split or crack over time or when nailing. In other words, what makes them bad for splitting for firewood makes them good for cabinets and woodworking.

I am burning some black cottonwood here right now, and it stinks. It is 2 year dry and in my view not worth getting any more. I can get all the free poplar and cottonwood here that I want, but I pass it up. Why spend the time and take up space with wood that has about half the heating value as madrone, oak or locust? It is OK in the shoulder seasons I guess, but I do not like the smell of burning it, and many people avoid it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.